Video Card?

Old 12-30-01, 07:51 AM
carvanz
Visiting Guest
Question Video Card?

Trying to run the new Survivor game for my daughter. I'm receiving "This card can not do 16 bit full screen mode (D3DFMT_X8R8G8B, D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8 couldn't be found)". It says the same thing when I try and run it 32 bit. I believe that it has something to do with my video card but I'm not exactly sure. Can anyone help me out? I've been trying to find out what video card I have and haven't had any luck. I've never had to do anything with my computer except turn it on, use it, and run scan and defrag on it so I'm pretty useless with any kind of configuring. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

P.S. I'll see you over in tv's and dvd's as well!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-01, 09:15 AM
BSB
First, right click any where on your desk top where there is not an icon, click on properties (left click) then click on settings tab and then advanced button lower right side of the window. then click on adapter tab. This should tell you what video card you are using. If it does not you may find it by right clicking on "my computer" and then click on properties, select hardware tab and then device manager. expand and dbl click on video adapter. (you can right click on the adapter and then select properties aswell).

Sounds like all you really need to do is upgrade your display driver. If you have an ATI graphics card make sure you completly uninstall and manualy delete any ati files before installing the new driver. ATI drivers are natorious for conflicting with each other.

Brian

Old 12-30-01, 01:11 PM
carvanz
Visiting Guest
Brian wrote: Sounds like all you really need to do is upgrade your display driver. If you have an ATI graphics card make sure you completly uninstall and manualy delete any ati files before installing the new driver. ATI drivers are natorious for conflicting with each other.

Thanks for the help with locating what kind of video card I have. However, the game's system requirement is for a 12MB 3D video card. I have Rage Pro Turbo AGP 2X. The manufacturer is ATI. Chip type: Mach64:RagePro, Software Version: 5.23-C53C. How do I know if this card is what the software requires? I also feel reluctant to uninstall before I install the upgrade. Is that absolutely the best way to install the upgrade? What about my other software? Will I have any kind of conflicts with the newer card? Also my computer is a HP Pavillion and when I visited their website to check out any downloads the only one they are offering for my video is one for the monitor. Would that be the same?

Old 12-31-01, 12:24 AM
Go HERE for the latest driver for your card from ATI. The download link is at the bottom of the page past all the legalese.

Old 12-31-01, 09:18 AM
BSB
If you read the help file, or the readme.txt file that comes with the new driver it will tell you that you have to completly remove the old driver before installing the new driver. And to make sure you choose "overwrite" for any files that says the present one is newer. Yeah its a disturbing concept at first, but it does work. After uninstalling don't "restart machine" instead install the new drivers first and then restart.

Unless you have problems, then you will need to restart, let it install the generic display adapter and then run the ATI install app.

One other thing, ATI installs always try to make your adapter a magnum card, you have to change it to what you are using. (or at least I always did.)

I forgot another way of locating info for the vid card. In your c drive you should find a directX folder. Open and click on the diag file. In most cases its the only file in the folder.

Brian
rage pro divers

Mach64 driver info

Old 01-01-02, 06:15 AM
carvanz
Visiting Guest
Since there are currently three different links to follow, which one should I use? Is it okay to download the new driver before I uninstall?

Brian wrote:One other thing, ATI installs always try to make your adapter a magnum card, you have to change it to what you are using. (or at least I always did.)

I'm unsure what you mean by this or how to do it? Can you pass on any more information about it?

When I checked my Directx file there is no diag file in it.
Thanks again for all the help.

Old 01-01-02, 07:20 AM
Yes, it is okay to download the new drivers before uninstalling the old, just don't run the downloaded file before this.

I can't get BSB's link to come up, but as long as you are running Windows 98 I think you would end up in the same place with either my link or the RagePro link BSB provided. To change your display adapter

right click on your desktop and click "properties".
click the "settings" tab then the "advanced" button.
click the "adapter" tab and then change.
Find your adapter in the drop-down list and select apply.

I think that should do it. Hope this helps.

Old 01-03-02, 09:33 AM
carvanz
Visiting Guest
One more question, I hope, before I download. Will this driver update give me exactly what the software is requiring with my video card: a 12 MB 3D card?

Guess I'm just worried that if I download it, it will mess up my other software programs.

Old 01-04-02, 05:09 AM
First, find out what card you have. The easiest way would be to go to the Control Panel, System, and the second tab and read the video card. The Windows system information utility can also bring that information up. It sounds like you have a video card, and a 3D accelerator card. You'll probably need to upgrade the drivers for both. Most manufacturers right now provide unified drivers (1 for all), but not always. If all else fails, take the video card out of the computer, and look at the markings. The manufacturer and modem number will be there.