Scanning 35mm negs

Old 12-30-01, 03:36 PM
Scanning 35mm negs

Somewhere I started reading about someone who uses a technique of scanning 35mm negatives using clear paper and their scanner. I never finished reading the information and can't locate the article. Can this be done?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-01, 05:46 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
yea i think it can be done if you scan it and resize them and print them out. why don't you give it a try?

Old 12-31-01, 11:40 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Scan

Try the manufacturer of the scanner. I bet it's an HP. My HP will scan negitives and it is nothing more than a setting in the software.

Old 01-01-02, 12:01 PM
It can be but negatives and slides always turn out better if the light come from the back. Regular scanners send light from the front. Slide and negative scanners are getting almost as cheap as flatbed scanners. One other thing, HP makes a lid for their scanners that provides back lighting for scanning overhead transpariences, slides and negatives.

Old 01-10-02, 03:03 PM
Smile Slide Scanners

I was looking around for a slide scanner and the least expensive stand alone one I could find was $299.00 for a rebuilt one. It scanned 50 slides or negitives all at one time. The other types I ran across were adapters for use with a scanner. From what I have read the cheap adapters do a poor job compared to the stand alone slide scanners. If you know where I can find slide scanners at better prices. Would you post the links please? Thanks, Marturo

Old 01-10-02, 03:12 PM
I tried scanning both slides and negatives in my scanner. After examining each image, I've come to the conclusion scanning can only be done if the subject is lit from the back, though I imagine image quality will suffer from the small size of the slide.

I imagine a setup can home made by using a light from the back and diffusing it with paper. There would probably have to be some way of killing the light inside the scanner.

Old 01-10-02, 03:25 PM
You might be able to turn the light off if the scanner has an option for a lighted lid. You never did mention the brand or model. Also your idea might work anyway. Just play with the brightness and contrast settings and see how it works.

Old 01-11-02, 01:33 AM
I don't yet have a scanner of my own. The scanner I'm working with is a VistaScan32 V3.1 at work. I'm collecting thoughts from people before making a purchase. I want to see if I can buy a generic scanner and adapt it to archive our family slides and negatives, or if I should buy a dedicated attachment in addition to the scanner. Naturally, each method will give different levels of quality, resolution, and color balance.

Old 01-11-02, 02:58 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
You have to have a scanner that has light on both sides to do a good job of scanning slides & negatives, and scanner software that has settings for this. The scanners that have attachments to do this don't work as good, put are passable.

In a pinch (if you only need to do one or two), cover the scanner bed with heavy paper that light won't pass thru, except for the area of the slide or negative. Put the slide or neg on the scanner and backlight it with a flashlight about 2" away from the piece. You will have to move the flashlight up or down to achieve the desired results. Scan the slide or neg. If the picture is still washed out with to much light, put a piece of copy paper behind the slide or neg to diffuse the light. You have to get the light equal from both sides in order for it to work properly. You will have to make adjustments in your scan software to get it just right.

I have done this several trimes and it works in a pinch. Although I pull the piece into Photoshop and make adjustments after scanning.

Try this method and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by xiii13; 01-11-02 at 04:09 AM.