Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

full hard drive

01-01-02, 07:08 AM   #1  
full hard drive

Happy New Year Guys,

I have an IBM Aptiva with Capacity of 3.73GB, used - 3.19GB, Free - 551MB. I just added 128MB to the existing 32MB of RAM. What are my options? Should I upgrade the hard drive? Are there certain things I can look for to delete?

Thanks,
JT

Sponsored Links

IL

01-01-02, 11:57 AM   #2  
It is really a question for you. Is it worth the 80 bucks or so to add a second hard drive?

If it is I would suggest adding a hard drive instead of replacing one. Replacing hard drives can cause probs and may require reinstalling. Also if you get another computer later on just move the 2nd drive to the new computer and you're off an running.

Visiting Guest

01-02-02, 04:16 AM   #3  
mikejmerritt
It would depend what you use the computer for and if you have the OS CD and all of the drivers for everything installed or a recovery CD. If you can restore all at any time if needed I would go after everthing that I didn't need. Go to Add/Remove and start there. Use Windows Explorer to examine files you may not know what are, in particular large ones. Here is a list of files you can dump and keep cleared : Run file find for each by searching all drives for *.xxx where xxx is the files below.

Don't know who I nabbed this list from but thanks....

..CHK -- Scandisk backup file. If there are lost clusters found when you run Scandisk, these files will be created. They will not come back, but new ones can be created with future Scandisk uses.

..GRP -- Program Manager Group file. If you never use Program Manager anymore, why keep these around? They will not come back, but an install program could create new ones.

..GID -- HELP-related file. When you run a Help file, it creates a "GID" to make future accesses to that particular help file faster. They are a complete waste of space, and usually one of the worst disk-hog offenders. You'll have to delete these on a regular basis, as they are recreated with every Help file execution.

..FTS -- HELP-related file. When you perform a search with a Help file, this is created to make all future perform faster. You may not need these unless you use HLP files on a daily basis. They will reappear if you do a search in a HLP file. You should search for these on a regular basis and delete them.

..CNT -- HLP-related file. Ever notice those tables of contents when you launch certain Help files? If you don't need a table to help you navigate through a Help file, delete these. They will not come back.

..AVI -- Movie file. If you already know how to use Windows, and no longer need to refer to these AVI teaching screens don't keep these around. Just becareful not to remove the ones from other programs on your system. Make sure you "watch" them before deleting them, because you might delete a movie you wanted to keep.

..TMP -- Temporary file. When you exit out of Windows without shutting down everything, these files could be littering your hard drive. Typically, they can be found in the \Windows\Temp\ folder. Many programs have temp files to help speed up processes, so at times they are a necessary evil. You might find hundreds of these just waiting to be deleted.

..~MP -- Temporary file. See .TMP above.

..BAK -- Old file. When a new version of a program comes along, sometimes it will rename the old version with a .bak extension. Be careful when removing these files as they may be needed. Investigate before deleting.

..$$$ - Old file. See .BAK above. Usually not needed, but always verify first.

..OLD -- Old file. See .BAK above. Usually not needed, but always verify first.

Visiting Guest

01-07-02, 07:02 PM   #4  
thenewguy
If you are runnign win95, click start-find all files and folders, search for *.tmp on the hard driv ein question. Delete all that come up, run scandisk, then defrag. If they won't run, start in Safe mode by hitting F8 key on bootup, then choose safe mode, and run those two.
Emapty the recycle bin, and if you run internet explorer, go to tools, internet options...delete files, clear history, then the following...
If you are running win98, go to start, programs, system tools, disk cleanup, and "ok" to get rid of the debris. Then go to start, programs, system tools, and rund scan disk, then a defag aftwards.good luck

01-08-02, 06:32 AM   #5  
It also depends on which Aptiva you have. If you choose to get a new hard drive (as I recommend), make sure you buy a retail version, preferably a Western Digital. They have the little floppy that will set the hard drive to work with your system. Since your computer only came with 32 Mb of Ram, it probably doesn't support large hard drives natively, you probably need a BIOS overlay to make everything work (EZBIOS). It will also copy all of the data from the primary hard drive to the second one. After you're done, just switch the two hard drives around. Keep both of them. It's very easy to reinstall the OS if you have a second hard drive to copy all of the files. The whole process is pretty simple. If you're still running the original Windows install I would install a blank hard drive, and then use the recovery disk to install everything from scratch. Windows has a tendency to ... degrade over time. They you can simply connect the old hard drive as a slave, and copy all of the files back (not the programs of course, you'll have to reinstall those).

Search this Thread