Networking with Bell South ADSL

Old 01-01-02, 04:58 PM
Networking with Bell South ADSL

Hello all
As many of you have heard by now [email protected] is going belly up Feb 29. Trying to beat the rush I signed up for Bell South ADSL. When I signed up I asked If it was ok to Network 4 Computers. The answer was oh yea no problem. As I am learning BS does not help you with your LAN and that's ok but they also state in their FAQs That a Tech will install a Modem/Router for up to 4 stand alone Computers with static IP addresses. Static address are $40.00 each on top of the monthly access fee. My single IP address will not be static in fact it will be different everytime I go online. Does anyone else have BS or ADSL without a static IP address and a Linksys 4 port Etherfast Cable/DSL Router running more than one Computer? The Tech I talked to this Eve. when asked what a Bell South approved router was did not know but she gave me a VPI # and a VCR # with a primary and secondary DNS server numbers. If it is going to work don't I need a few more setup numbers for the Linksys?
Thanks for any help you can give me. Marturo

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-02, 11:24 AM
BSB
My brother-in-law is running a linksys dsl router to network his laptop and desktop with out having to pay the extra $$ to bellsouth. I on the other hand would be, but since BS does not offer dls in my area I am stuck with pots. If you do set a network up you will here this a lot. "bellsouth does not support networks" I know because I say it everyday. Kinda what you see in the FAQ. My advice, save the money, get the dslrouter, set up your lan and forget about it. Just be ready to take the main machine off the router and connect it directly when calling tech support.

Brian

Old 01-02-02, 11:50 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool DSL Router

Linksys is the way to go, I had cable and went to DSL and run 4 computers on it. DO NOT tell SWB that you are running a router or they will charge you for the extra connections. I am surprised they offered any help at all. They are not supposed to. I run the Linksys BEFSR11. Got it for about $60 or so. Comes with hippie proof instructions etc. Although I fought it for several hours till I figured out I had a bad NIC card.

Old 01-03-02, 09:32 AM
Go with the 4 port switch Lynksys as you are using 3 computers. Makes it look neater. You'll probably have to use PPPOE, so just set it up, reset, and you should be in business. Of course, BellSouth only knows you have one computer.... You may have to reboot a couple of times a month, I have SBC here and sometimes the router won't be able to get an IP adress. Rebooting the router solves it in seconds. (you can also do it remotely, just go to the password tab, and click accept). It will reboot. If you need any help, let me know.

Old 01-03-02, 09:54 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Linksys

Yea the Linksys I suggest is only a two port WAN/LAN. If I had been paying attention I would have got the 4 port but looked up and saw the HUB so screwed up and did the 2 port. One of those times I looked in my wallet instead of doing what was right. I personaly have not had an IP problem so far. Although I shut the modem down a while back and it took 15 minutes to get another IP. So never shut it down now. Get the 4 port like trinitro says, follow the hippie proof instructions and go for it. Linksys by the way is the only way to go! Horror stories about others you would not believe. BSB is a phone/bench tech I think, ask him

Old 01-03-02, 12:35 PM
BS and I go way back!

My setup as of today is one Cable Modem with a sticky IP address (Don't ask me ask @HOME) an ethernet twisted pair to the Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router 4 port. Then an ethernet line to 4 Linksys NU-100 NIC cards and of course the four roll yer own boxes. What I have learned is Do demand more from BS yes much more in fact. I am moving from Cable Modem to ADSL not by choice but because of a loss of the Cable option. This is the third time I have signed up with BS for ADSL and once a long, long time ago a dial up. At first it was, I get to install the PCI transducer oh boy! Only there was something missing yes your right. How do I transfer over to Ethernet? With a $90.00 Tech visit to install a $200.00 PCI modem to allow an Ethernet connection out to the Linksys. Boy did I raise the dead that time. 1. Don't touch any of my boxes no way no how. 2 tell me in advance that I need a Tech to come out and watch me install that $200.00 modem, BS just forgot to tell me I needed to network. I told them I was networking 4 Computers everything was up front on my part. I wrote a letter to the BIG shots at BS and told them among other things that everybody had more than one Computer DUH! This went like a Q&A period back and forth for awhile until one day I see not 2 Transducers (ADSL Modems) but 3 yes 3 and that third option was an Ethernet option for and I want to make this perfectly clear( We do not support networking!) So who cares between my friends at DIY and Linksys HELP I think I get the the picture of how networking with ADSL will be a little different than Cable may they RIP. So in some small way my Brothers, I would like to think that I played a small but important part in bringing BS into the realities of the 21st Century. I would like to thank you all for filling in the missing links as what to expect from ADSL/Networking. BSB I'm really sorry Mate that you have to put up with a dial up, I have known quite a few BS employees and have always felt that it is BS responsibility to have their people on High Speed somehow and for FREE! Well I'm off to take this Cable Modem back to Media Com and start riding the copper again with a whole lot more Horsepower we trust. Thanks again guys, Marturo

Old 01-03-02, 12:59 PM
Under no circumstance are you to get an internal or USB DSL modem. Make sure you get a "true" Ethernet modem. They may not like it, but the one "lie" that works is that you have an old computer with all of the PCI slots free, and no USB ports (running Win95). They don't like Ethernet modems cause they are more expensive, but you'll be glad in the long run. I had nothing but trouble with USB modems, and the internal ones are no much better.

Old 01-04-02, 02:09 PM
plug together, thats all???

We just got our Earthlink DSL model yesterday. It comes with no more instructions than how to plug it into the ethernet card on the comp. I have an 8 port Linksys cable/dsl router, that has for the most part been reliable for the past several months for print and file sharing. I attempted inserting the router into the setup, but no success. For Dsl, do you have to sign-on at the begining of easch session? I know this is the case with the comp directly connected to the modem. What about when having the router connected? the linksys should support the setup, what information do I need to insert into the linksys control page, and what info do I need to enter into the computer for internet settings? Assuming the modem is still activated, nad the session is still kept active by the router being connected, shouldn't I be able to access the internet over the network with any computer set to receive internet from the network with the appropriate protocols. The reason I ask is I don't like the earthlink software, plus the second computer is 5 years old with Win95. It didn't take to the modem (deirectly) well at all. Thats when I ditched my idea of "if the earthlink software makes a mess, at least it is on the old computer anyway. (the old one could use a complete win95 reinstall anyhow.)0 I of course realize not to call earthlink tech support, I am aware of the reasons.

Old 01-04-02, 06:00 PM
First, make sure your router supports PPPOE. You may have to update the firmware if it's too old. Earthlink uses PPPOE to log you in. You probably use EnterNet or something similar to log on when you boot the computer. After you setup the router with the correct user name and password, and you verified it logged in (otherwise it won't get an IP address, and it won't say connected. Anyway, make sure you uninstall your client software, unistall the Earthlink software, and then setup Outlook Express or mail client to access the mail server. Everything should take no more then 15 minutes. Of course, the modem goes first, the output goes to the router WAN port, and the computer plugs into the router's LAN's port. You may want to uninstall the PPPoE client to begin with, it may conflict with the router. If you can't access the router you can't get anywhere. If all else fails, reset the router, and start all over. I belive the address is 192.168.1.1. The default password should be admin. Good luck. I've done it many times, and it has always worked perfectly. The most difficult setup is with an @home connection, you have to do strange things there.

Old 01-05-02, 10:06 AM
I'm losing my mind .EXE

I will start from the begining. I went to Linksys and got the latested firmware download for the BEFSR41 it is 3 years old and has never been upgraded. Hooked everything in place with the direct replacement for the Suff Board Cable Modem, to the new ADSL, Alcatel Speed touch Home Ethernet Modem. The first thing I saw was when I put in the Addresses for the Linksys I could get onto the setup page and if I clicked apply I got a 404, also if I tried to access the DHCP tab or any tab I would get a 404. I did notice that this was a much different Linksys setup interface than the one I have used before and it did this, also when not hooked to the ADSL modem. Not getting online by 2 am I put the BS Installation Wizard CD into my machine. Now @Home does not support Networking But at least they gave me The Client ID to put into the :Computers name, also the sticky address not static but whatever it worked and I did not have to use thrir CD Wizard or Browser. BS gave me the VPI & VCI numbers ??? and a Primary & Secondary, DNS address. OH back to the Wizard all 4 times I installed and uninstalled there was one thing kept happening, the File called Installs\oe\VTruck.exe could not be found each time. By the way I'm coming at you by hooking direct from my Cable modem, because even with the problem of configuring the Linksys one page, reboot another page, reboot I did manage to reconfigure the Linksys back to pre DSL trial run, so, why I can't hook the Linksys up with the cable modem it ran with for 3 years has me stumped. So there it is I can't hook up with the ADSL moden or the Cable modem when I am going through my linksys router. I have not tried to hook the ADSL up straight up to the Computer, but will try next. The only reason that I did not take any firmware upgrades from linksys was they said, if you have no trouble don't upgrade. I have the 4.01 ver now and had the 301 ver before. I wonder if I can get a backwards download from somewhere. If the ADSL works it can only be the fact that I put a firmware upgrade on my Linksys, and messed the little blue box up. I researched everything I could get ahold of for two weeks before switching modems. I should have been able to keep my IE 6.0, my web sites SMPT and POP3 mail accounts, in fact everything should have been setup with out the BS CD. Please feel free to step right in and correct anything if I am doing this wrong. I still have BS files on my machine that need to be found and gotten rid of like the boot up box with flashlight searching for CManager.exe. The CD is really only a set of Tech tools, to allow BS techs to monitor your system and get the trouble codes. Truth is the size if your lines have more to do with speed, than any software tweek they have on that CD. I have read of others doing a firmware upgrade from Linksys and having conectivity problems. With so much going on though I don't want to just yep it's the Linksys and have to go out and buy a new one, besides it would have ver. 401 on it also. Thanks for hanging in on this post all, I thought I would on the otherside helping others by now. Another late night and a Winter storm on it's way I had better get on the phone line before we lose power and Cable will be gone. POTS and a Generator might be a good combo when the power goes down. Marturo

Old 01-05-02, 10:52 AM
Try reseting the router. The default IP address may be messed up. Also, make sure you are getting anything from the router. Do the lights go on? Does it pass it's own diagnostic? No red light? If it does, the router is ok. If you don't get an IP address from the router, then either your computer is not setup for DHCP, or the router's DHCP server is disabled. Reseting the router will enable the DHCP server. You should be able to connect to the router with no problem.

Old 01-05-02, 11:39 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Slow down

-Start from the begining...

-First off get all settings off your computer. Everything in Networking needs to be Auto Assigned. Auto IP/DNS etc.

-Out of the router to #1 computer. (LAN) with a straight thru CAT 5 cable. Not a twisted. There is a switch on the back of the Linksys to change to straight or twisted for the WAN. I prefer straight.

-Now can u type into IE address bar 192.168.1.01 <Enter> and have communication between the router and computer? If so continue. If not you have a computer to router no communication problem and THAT will have to be addressed before going on. Bad card, wire, router...

-Set the router up with @home setting numbers, IP address, DNS, user name like this, log in via the 192.168.1.01. User should be your computer name and password is "Admin" [no " "]. If this gets you to the admin screen of the router then this is where you set up @home

-Now plug the modem into the routers WAN In I/O. LAN to your #1, #2, #3 etc computers all setup with Auto assign IP/DNS etc. on each of them. You should have internet access now. You can actually have this hooked up from the begining just KISS

-Of course the workgroup name has to be the same on all the computers. This should do it. If not kick me and we'll go at it again. Mike

Old 01-05-02, 12:13 PM
All's calmed down mind in control

Thanks Big Mike I needed that. Well I thought I would give Linksys a call while waiting. The tech confirmed my fears I took too big a step on the firmware jump. He gave me a FTP.linksys.com address and that's where they keep all the firmware upgrades. I got my old ver: all the way up to one under the one I used that got me into this mess. So off I go to to install an older ver: of firmware and hopefuly have the ADSL up and running soon. Earlier I read that @Home was a bad one for getting the Linksys to work with but since @Home is all but dead we won't worry about that now. All of you that read this and are changing from @HOME from AT&T to new ISP need to go to the Linksys web site as they have special instrutions on changing your settings to work with your new AT&T ISP provider. I'm jumping ship and going to ADSL, with all the good and bad that ADSL brings this will be the 3rd ISP for our cable Company in 3 years and I am not going to wait around to see if cable makes it in the ISP business. We will have POTS for a long time I hope. Although I know it is very limited in it's service area comparied to Cable access. Thanks All see you soon, Marturo