Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Memory problem

Visiting Guest

01-02-02, 05:08 AM   #1  
Roadslayer
Memory problem

Hi All,

I have a pentium 166 computer.The problem is that it isn't using the external memory cards i installed.It originally had two 8 mb cards and i installed two 16 mb cards in the sequence the the book says too.It Says the memory is bad.Its not tho.It works in my other computer.What could be the problem?

Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks, roadslayer

Sponsored Links

IL

01-02-02, 10:07 AM   #2  
May be a mismatch on the memory or it may be the wrong speed. The SIMM memory used by these computers often needed to be of a specific type. The most likely culprit it the 16MB modules you have may be the wrong speed or the wrong parity. Does your documentation give you a speed and parity requirement? I.E. 60ns Parity or 70ns non-parity. And what is that same info on the memory you put in?

01-03-02, 09:34 AM   #3  
Try removing the old type, and only put in the new type. Make sure they are the same (both old and new). If it works with the new memory only, but not with both then you have a memory mismatch (EDO and fast page, or EDO and standard). In that case I would recommend a cheap Emachines , SIMMs are very expensive nowadays.

Visiting Guest

01-03-02, 12:53 PM   #4  
Roadslayer
Hi all,

Thanks for the replys.I will try your suggestions and get back to you.I haven't had time to work on that one today.My other computer crashed and i've been working all day to restore it

Thanks again,

roadslayer

Search this Thread