Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lists and file formats

IL

01-02-02, 06:25 AM   #1  
Lists and file formats

I do some mail list printing for a variety of customers. As you can imagine, the files come in all types of formats. The software I use is fairly powerful and can open many formats and convert it to something usable for me, but Access is one of the exceptions. I don't need to edit anything about the list and don't have a need for Microsoft Access 2000 or 2002 but some of the files come that way. The client doesn't want to use the "save as" feature or I would be fine with almost any of the other choices. Does anyone know of a freeware viewer or something like that, that can open Access 2000 / 2002 files and resave them in some other format? I have Access 97 and never used it except to open those lists and am having a hard time swallowing the upgrade price just to do the same until the next version comes out! Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

IL

01-02-02, 12:32 PM   #2  
Unfortunetly, Microsoft stuff is pretty much an island unto itself. All the comercial database programs that could open an Access database are more expensive than Access.

One thing to try, if the data is simple tables or queries you may be able to use mailmerge from Word. As you're setting up your data sorce for the mail merge choose the database file. Then simple include every field in the mailmerge document.

Another idea, Linux people are sold on Star Office which claims to be able to open MS files. StarOffice is open source so it is free for personal use. (Of course, if you don't want to download 200mb you can get the CD for 17 bucks.) Hey, just noticed they even have a Windows version now. http://www.sun.com/download/

01-02-02, 03:00 PM   #3  
Since you have Access 97 suggest: http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.htm

IL

01-03-02, 09:15 AM   #4  
2000, that page looked real promising until I went to the next page and saw that there were only 3 downloads, 2 of which were snapshot makers and snapshot viewers (I tried it but it wants a snapshot file to start with) the other is a converter for something else.
mrhoader, You hit the nail on the head. The database programs that open Access (and some that don't) are more expensive then Access! I tried the Word mailmerge but ended up with garbage. I downloaded the Star Office program and found that to be a huge can of worms. I went to their forum for Adabas (the base program for Star Office) and found post after post of people pissed off trying to do the same thing. Thanks for the help though...I do appreciate the replies. I'll keep looking
Thanks again

Search this Thread