Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

system specifications

01-02-02, 02:10 PM   #1  
system specifications

Could anyone please tell me how to bring up the window that has sysem specifications. The computer is a used Compaq 4000 with a windows nt operating system......ex..hardrive size.....memory....and processor speed......
Thank You
Stephen Shane

Sponsored Links

01-02-02, 03:31 PM   #2  
To learn NT variables and commands try the Google Group "alt.msdos.batch.nt". A quick search of that group will yield results.

On Win98 it's MSINFO32.EXE. NT, "I think" - "shaky at best", is Sysinfo.exe. You could try: C:\>dir *info*.exe /s /p OR C:/>dir *in*.exe /s /p at the command prompt.

01-02-02, 03:34 PM   #3  
Thank you.....I plan to change to 98 and I should have asked at the time. What is the best way to change over. Format C: (how is it done) and use a boot up disk and load 98 or should or can I just add 98 and then somehow delete nt.
Thank you
Stephen

WI

01-02-02, 04:42 PM   #4  
Would be best to get a 98 boot to format the drive. You also may need to run fdisk and change the disk from ntfs to fat32. Come to think of it, I dont know if fdisk will convert ntfs to fat32????? maybe use NT boot disks (2 or 4?) and convert back to fat32.

Brian

01-04-02, 03:46 PM   #5  
BSB almost said it all.

NTFS? fat16? NTFS & fat16? [Only a few NTs are fat32 aware].

Fdisk /status [display partition info].

Because compaq is a proprietary system suggest reading: http://www.compaq.com/support/faqs/desktops.html
See: CMOS and non dos partitions. Why? NTFS displays non dos.

How to removel NTFS in NT.http://www.zdnet.com/products/storie...912067,00.html Another way exists, but adhering to the former is best. Fat volume - simplest way: wipe the drive of files, then fdisk and format with the Win98 setup disk. Avoids windows detection of another Win OS.

Suggest coping to floppy: ATTRIB.EXE, DELTREE.EXE and COMMAND.COM
From A:\> the commands would go something like this.

A:\> A:\attrib -r -s -h c:\*.* /s
A:\> A:\command /cecho y | A:\deltree c:\
A:\> A:\command /cIf exist c:\*.* echo y|del c:\*.*

A batch may be more prudent.

rem ByeNt.BAT
@echo off
A:\attrib -r -s -h C:\*.* /s
A:\command /cecho y | A:\deltree c:\
A:\command /cIf exist c:\*.* echo y|del c:\*.*

FROM A:\> Issue:
A:\command /kA:\ByeNt.BAT

01-04-02, 04:30 PM   #6  
Thank YOu

Thanks 2000,
That answers all the questions I thought of and some I hadn't.

last question..My brother also gave me another compaq 4000 that was used by the administrator. Inside their is rows and rows of what I think is memory bars or chips. Are they simply plug in and the computer configures or will I need software?
thanks
stephen

01-04-02, 04:58 PM   #7  
Most newer computers auto detect memory. If not - CMOS setup to tell the machine how much memory it has. Smart,
hugh? Hugh www.compaq.com - model etc. for BIOS info.

Again, hugh compaq make sure memory is of the same type and access speed. Faster memory is OK with slower, but not the
other way around.

Search this Thread