reformat/reinst Win98, GATEWAY SELECT 750

Old 01-02-02, 04:43 PM
Unhappy reformat/reinst Win98, GATEWAY SELECT 750

A friend has a gateway select 750 that crashed 2 months ago.
side note Athlon 750Mhz, 64MB RAM, 15GB HD, std vid, aud, NIC, CDROM, etc.) SYSTEM RECOVERY?????

The G.W. tech helped her through getting the system completely started over again, it took several nights on and off of the phone. A number of mistakes were made in the process. The most major of them all was formatting the drive in FAT16, not 32. I really hesitate to create a second partition, because C is still limited to 2GB. I also have personal experience with working on another machine that came out of the box with two partitions, it is not the best idea for the situation. I do understand the purpose/uses for multiple partitions. This is not one of those situations where it is a good idea, also given I am not the owner of the system.

In about two weeks I am going to bring her moocow home with me to fix. I need to learn more about what to do, between now and then.
THE REASON I AM ASKING AT THIS FORUM:
she tells me the system did not come with recovery disc(s) for Win98 and related. Drivers for the sound, video, etc. may not be a problem. ?? (I will need to find out)
She tells me that the recovery is built-in, I have never had to deal with this type of system before, that is why I don't have much of a clue. Recovery meaning it can be booted, and commanded to do whatever. It sounds like the recovery instructions are perhaps on ROM inside???
It took a while before the tech realized what the situations really was, and was able to give her proper instructions.
I would like to know if anyone has ever heard about such before, knows or can find out what to do. My objective is to reformat the hard drive and go from there. (this time 1 partition in FAT32 (C:/) !!!)
I would like to know as much as possible ahead of time so IF I must call CowTown for help, I am one step ahead, and do not have to waste any more time than necessary.

gj
curiosity:
I went back and looked through computer magazines from the fall of 1999. (I think she bought the package deal in SEPT)
What I noted was most of the hardware resembles what others like Dell and Compaq were offering. But never did I see a machine with a processor that fast, or for that matter any references to Gateway Select Series. ????

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-02, 05:58 AM
Two things may be going on here.

The recovery files their talking about may simple be the .cab files in the C:\windows\options\cabs folder. (These are the same files found in the Win98 folder on a CD-ROM) In which case, if you reformat you loose your OS installation files. The devices on this computer may be generic enough that the drivers are included in the OS or Gateway may have put them in a special folder.

Some vendors experimented with hidden hard drive partitions to hold the recovery files. IBM still uses this system. Again, if you reformat the entire drive you loose everything.

Any chance you have a CD burner so you can copy all these files? The other option is to borrow a Win98SE disk from someone or see if you can get a recovery CD from Gateway.

Old 01-03-02, 02:18 PM
I will find out more, ...

Unfortunately this was a $1200 system package that included no cdrw, zip, or other similar drives to backup files of any kind. Even just for storage/transport of large files/projects.
At that time, her daughter was still in high school, but the amount of technology integration was still not as developed as it is now(2 years later) . (I ALLWAYS carry at least one zip disc with me to and from school, Most of the machines do have 100MB drives. Unfortunately, they saw no value in buying 250MB drives so people like me can use either type of disc, especially for those of us who do have 250MB drives and discs at home.)
Anyway, I don't think I am going to easily convince her she absolutely needs to have a CD-rW drive added or even better, DVD- let's see... which format...
theres plenty of open bays!
Daughter in college = budget, even with two jobs. God help her.

How would the cowtown tech have had her reformat the hard drive and install Win98 and everything wlse without having recovery discs. This still has my curiosity. I think I will have her thoughly search for everything that came with the system, and will undoubtedly be forced to spend some time on the 800 wait wait wait, moan and complain, hurry up and fix it- NOW number.

gj

Old 01-04-02, 04:00 PM
Fat16 to fat32 problem - suggest reading: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...rt2/wrkc10.asp before fdisking and formatting. .It's highly likely that a shortcut to the program exists on
the start menu under system tools.

Side notes: conversion will fail if the disk contains bad sectors or multiple partitions of fat16 and fat32 exist.
[ Both may coexist]. Pay attention to Antivirus software (ie: uninstall it) and other software that monitors the boot sector.

Recovery problem: suggest - ERU.EXE ("Emergency Recovery Utility"). Typical location Win9x setup disk "OldMsdos". May be downloaded from MS also. ERU.EXE has existed since Win95, and is compatible with Win98. Recovery disk is a compressed floppy. Another handy tool for backing up INI files, stemming from Win95 that is compatible with Win98, is CFGBACK.EXE This is a download from MS.

Most drivers for common hardware are on the Win98 setup disk. If the modem works, very likely unless it's weird or junk, drivers for specific hardware can be downloaded from may sites. Win98 has to be the easiest of all Win OSes to install.

Old 01-04-02, 10:16 PM
there is a program on g/fs gateway called goback maybe thats what hes talkin about?

Old 01-05-02, 03:34 AM
Mrmojo, CVT1.EXE is the name of the program. The shortcut is "Drive Converter (Fat32)". Before using this program its wise to read Mircosofts offical gotyahs.

Old 01-05-02, 12:09 PM
I dunno

How it completely reformatted the hard drive, or so I think, I havent the vaguest clue. Perhaps there is a hidden pertition or something. I will find out when I get the computer to work on.

gj

Old 01-05-02, 12:12 PM
yes! there is a "go-back" type of program on it......but

Yes there was a "go-back" type program on there before the system crashed several months ago. did not look for this program last weekend.
But I do rememer something, I thing it was a Gateway feature.

gj

Old 01-07-02, 07:09 PM
thenewguy
Visiting Guest
reinstall win98se. About 98.8% of the time it will save so much grief and headache it's worth it's weight in gold.
If the machine worked fine withing the past few days you can reboot, hit F8, go to command prompt, and type scanreg /restore
note the space between the "g" and the "/" only.
Unfortunately, this will only go back about five days. It will make your machine as it was up to 5 days ago, but that is all the further I could get mine to go. It fixed my problems when a reinstall won't . A corrupted registry is tough to fix otherwise unless you have many many days of spare time.
Good luck

Old 01-08-02, 05:13 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Format

Everyone that knows me asks why I say format and start over. For one Gateway, Dell, HP all load up so much garbage on their systems I am surprised they even run. If you got a six month to one year run out of the factory software count yourself lucky.
Also if the registry has been damaged and yours most certainly has, then nothing you can do will EVER repair it. You may think you have but then something else creeps up.
Itís YOUR computer. YOU can put any software that belongs to you on it. Dell, Gateway etc can say nothing more than they will renege on their warranty to some extent. I honestly feel that they EXPECT the software to fail to be able to get the latest advertising etc on the personís computer.
Your OS is damaged beyond logical repair. Format, reinstall Windoze. The longest build of a Windoze OS I have ever had was 2 years, Win ME Corporate. I just formatted and reinstalled 2 months ago and got hit with some destructive Java on a re-direct that I decided to do it again.
One last thing, I have NEVER seen a copy of Windoze go on the same way twice. EVERYTIME it is different. Beatís the tar out of me why but it doesnít.

Old 01-19-02, 08:50 AM
Visiting Guest
I ran into the same problem with an IBM.What they did was Partition the hard drive and put the Recovery files there.
I phoned IBM and complained that if the hard drive went belly up you 'd have no access to these recovery files.They shipped Recovery CD's the same day via Purolator.
Apperntly HP tried this acouple of years ago and got so many complaints that they started shipping Rec.Cd's again.
IBM says they'll do the same thing....

Old 01-19-02, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Interesting thread

The problems that green jacket came here with are echoed by many friends and acquaintances I discuss computers with.
In our rural town we have a number of computer techs that are good at what they do, but often run into frustrating situations that seemingly have no solutions. They are able to fix any problem, providing they have program disks and back-up files supplied by the computer owner.
Unfortunately these guys get a bad rap around town because a guy brings in a $999.00, very fast/everything's on the MB computer, with no disks or documentation and expect them to perform some sort of exorcism to fix their junk.
I am a novice with these things, but take the advice of my programmer son to have ALL the start-up/driver/program disks at the ready. A cd burner makes saving data a piece of cake. Reformatting and reinstalling everything is not always the way to go, but it is nearly always a sure thing, and can make up for a lack of knowledge in some of the finer points of bringing these things back to life.

Old 01-19-02, 10:28 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Who me?

Oh I guess Iím a little guilty of, oh heck with it, format and re-install. But sometimes itís just the best answer. Backups are important! I say partioning is important. Even if the main programming is lost or damaged the partition can be reached from DOS. I donít always format, I have fought with a system or days figuring out the problem THEN dump it because the damage was so bad that it just wasnít worth the future problems. Registry problems are of course the worse. I will admit I still get weak in the knees when I am messing with the registry. If it were a perfect world we would not need to fight this stuff. For the millions of dollars Gates spent developing this garbage you would think it would work rightÖ Dreamer huh?

Last edited by bigmike; 01-19-02 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-19-02, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Not just you. :)

I think people underestimate the complexity of these things.
I don't think there is much appreciation for the wide range of tasks these machines can do. It's no wonder they screw up.

If someone brought a computer with all the disks in for repair and said " don't worry about what's on the hard drive", an hour would have them up and running.

Old 01-19-02, 01:11 PM
Visiting Guest
I think people underestimate the complexity of these things.
I agree to a point but these big computer companies selling computers with no OEM cd or Recovery cd is bull!!
That's is just a scam to either buy new equip or to pad the Computer Techs pocket.
Because if the DISKS were with the puter it is not a big process to re-install.Anybody who can read and follow instructions can do the install.

Search this Thread