Disconnect Problems

Old 01-04-02, 11:14 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Question Disconnect Problems

Since upgrading from W95 to W98, my computer disconnects frequently with no warning that it has. Everything appears as though I'm still connected and finally, the telephone "line in use" light will go off, indicating that I'm no longer connected, but the computer icon in the lower right corner of my screen keeps working as if I'm connected. I was on IM this morning and was disconnected three times in the first few minutes. That is the most frequently that it has disconnected in that amount of time, but it's not unusual to be disconnected at least once each time I'm at the computer. I have talked with my ISP and they think that it's something internal. Any ideas before I take it to a repairman?

Thank you,
mlminin

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-02, 01:21 PM
Arrow modem properties

Have you checked modem properties? I know there is a option to have the computer automatically disconnect the modem when it thimks you do not need internet service. I used a computer once that had this option checked, it annoyed me terribly until I unchecked it. Internet inactivity makes it disconnect. Even just reading information in an email or on a webpage.

gj

Old 01-04-02, 01:37 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Disconnect Problems

Hi green jacket, Modem properties... I went to file/find (modem properties) and didn't see anything that looked like I should check or un-check it. Can you instruct me? Maybe someone has the time and wouldn't mind telling me?

Thank you,
mlminin

Old 01-04-02, 04:56 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Disconnect if connection is no longer needed...

Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections tab, Settings button, Advanced button...Advanced Dial Up is where you check for disconnecting when connection may no longer be needed.....Unchecking this if its checked may help.....Mike

Old 01-04-02, 05:14 PM
Thnax for that Mike. I have been getting the same problem with my dial up ISP

Old 01-08-02, 08:43 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Thank you Mike. I did everything you said to do, but it looks like that was already as it should be. Someone mentioned to me that maybe it's a modem driver problem. I have no idea what that means.

mlminin

Old 01-08-02, 08:47 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Since you upgraded to Windoze 98, I would find out what kind of modem you have and go to that website and get the latest driver and install it.

Old 01-08-02, 09:05 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank you for your suggestion. Maybe that's the answer.

mlminin