Need "TECH" help

Old 01-08-02, 09:07 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Need "TECH" help

Hey,everybody--this is PDF from the heating and cooling forum---bear with me here--we have Windows 95 it is a model 4505--our ISP is landline and not cable--we recently did an upgrade from 16 to 32 memory on the RAM---we had very little drive space left so my wife did a restore---we gained alot more drive space---HOWEVER--at this point in time---we have to go into email to get on line---if we try direct to our ISP--it states could not establish connection-so we go into email to get on line....PLUS everytime we get to any page it states--Internet script error,line etc,charactor etc,code etc, and do you want to continue running script?The down load time for any page is r e a l s l o w...Any ideas?We thought with a restore and memory increase we would be better off...We are using EXCITE at this time.I know they just bit the big one and are redoing for all their customers.Is this part of our problem???Any recommendations or advise will help.Thanks again!!!PDF--heating/cooling forum

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-02, 10:40 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Drive space

Not having enough drive space can harm you. If you donít have at least 100 Megs open for the 386 Swap File the computer is going to start having kittens. The script error is a setting in your Internet Explorer security settings. One was changed somehow. As far as the dialup, not real sure here, could be a TCP stack error or most likely you just need to go into Network Neighborhood and delete the current connection then re-do it. Sounds like and old, old system. Jeez I have one computer that runs 64 Megs of memory just for video. Time to clean up your hard drive, may even be time to replace that door stop with a high speed door stop.

Old 01-09-02, 06:23 AM
You didn't mention what brand of system. I recommend against doing a restore, unless it's the only choice. A restore will load everything that the manufacturer thought you wanted. I prefer to use the Win98/95 disk and install just the OS, and just the applications I need. You probably never used 90% of the "great" programs on the restore disk. It's also nearly impossible to uninstall most of them (IBM is a great example ) Dial up errors usually mean a improperly configured connection. How did you set it up to begin with? If you have scripts, you may have a SLIP connection. Most connections right now are PPP. Also, if the browsing is slower then before, your modem may not be using the best driver. First, update the modem driver, preferably from the manufacturer. Second, obtain the ISP phone number, and create a new connection. Dial that one and see if it works. If not, delete everything in the networking properties, reboot, and just load Client for Microsoft, TCP/IP, and dial up networking.
If that still doesn't work, it's time to buy an eMachines.

Old 01-09-02, 11:29 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool No Windoze!

I would take an E-Machine or any machine that doesn't have Windoze. I have Red Hat laying here, never used it, have seen it once or twice but too big of a chicken to load it.

Old 01-09-02, 11:43 AM
PDF
Visiting Guest
Thanks

you both mentioned about connection with ISP.Called them today and explained.My problem was when we did a restore---we restored everything back to Windows 4.0 (we have a Compaq Presario Windows 95).What we did was upgrade to Windows 5.5---Thanks for the idea of calling my ISP.PDF

Old 01-09-02, 12:01 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool TCP/IP

So your TCP/IP/DNS/SMTP/POP everything reverted to a previous ISP or just default "ō"? So they had you reset all of these settings? 95? Jeez, you must be at least 40 A kid wouldn't remember how to use 95. I barely do! And I'm older-N-dirt... Not really but what I do remember of 95 it was usualy a battle whenever there was a problem. Make sure "Log on to Network " is NOT checked in Properties of the dialup configuration settings....