Epson Printer

Old 01-09-02, 04:38 PM
Epson Printer

Hello all, My Epson 860 stylus printer is giving me problems. The black cartridge was low on ink, but not empty, and i lost all black in my documents. I put a new cartridge in and still had the same problem. I followed all of the Epson instructions on cleaning the print heads to no avail. I had one line on the sample test print black after several cleaning sequences, but it only happened once and then i kept getting no black, or just blotches of black. Tried running the cleaning sequence six more times with no improvement. Anyone else had this problem, or any repair ideas?
Thanks, beebow

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-02, 02:17 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Print Cart.

I would look to the print cartridge. Just because it’s new doesn’t mean it didn’t have an air leak in the bag and dried up. If it’s one of those aftermarket cartridge replacements it may not work at all. Right now I am betting on the tank being dried up… Go from there and holler if it does/doesn't fix it.

Old 01-10-02, 02:42 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
go to http://www.fixyourownprinter.com and go to the Epson section. This site has a solution to your problem.

Old 01-13-02, 08:34 AM
amh
Visiting Guest
Epson printer problems

I have used several inkjet printers and own an Epson Stylus Photo 1200 which is the 6 color photo printer. I use my printer for everything because I've found that the worst thing you can do to an inkject printer is not use it. In order to keep the print head clean and clear it needs to be kept liquid and have regular use. It doesn't pay to conserve ink by not using it. Even if you put it on the economy level.... use it or loose it.

Old 01-17-02, 09:11 AM
The Soulgirl
Visiting Guest
I too have an Epson and will not be buying another... they are terrible. That aside, I always keep a small can of lighter fuel and cotton buds handy to clean both the ink nozles and cartridge holder. This disolves any build up of dry ink and restores printing quality.

Hope that helps

Old 01-30-02, 12:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Try placing the print head on a wet paper towel as the towel dries it pulls the ink out of the head.
I agree with the guy above the ink has dried out around your print head.
This happened to me and as I'm cheap I had to do the paper towel thing several time to clear up problem.

Old 01-30-02, 04:27 PM
Goto Epson! They clearly state that both cartridges must be replaced, even when only one is low.

Old 01-30-02, 07:13 PM
amh
Visiting Guest
Epson printer problems

I honestly don't know what you all are doing to gunk up your Epson Printers...except maybe not use them enough. Ink dries if it's not used. Epson has one of the best reputations of all the Printer lines and is rated tops in the graphic design field. I'm a Graphic Designer and bought my Epson Stylus Photo 1200 based on the advice from the pros at my service bureau. I love mine and have only had problems with drying if I let it sit for weeks at a time with no use.

Also I change out only the cartridge that is empty. If both the clack and color cartridges are empty (mine is the 6 color) I change both but that hardly ever happens. I'm not aware of Epsons "change both at the same time" rule.

Old 01-31-02, 08:18 AM
The Soulgirl
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by 2000
Goto Epson! They clearly state that both cartridges must be replaced, even when only one is low.
Ha Ha... yes they would, especially when they cost so much! Personally, I would never buy another Epson again! I have the 850 colour and not a patch on my HP

Old 01-31-02, 10:29 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
My 2 cents!

The high end Epson color printers for the graphics industry are the only way to go. I have had an Epson Pro XL for 4 years, that is printing 25 to 50 - 13" x 19" layouts a day running on Postcript II. It just keeps working and working. All I ever do is replace the ink cartridges. Just purchased a Photo 1280 for photographic work and am amazed at the quality & speed of this printer. There is no HP out there that can match it.

The low end Epson color printers for home use are marginal, but are still good machines. I have an HP 820cxi that has given me nothing but trouble since day one.

If your talking laser, then HP is the only way to go.

Old 01-31-02, 11:05 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Printers

Any printer that is for home use is not going to be all that hot. Business type printers are of course going to be of higher quality. Of all the printers I have repaired HP is the worse! Epson is next, the printer that I have seen over the years that out performs and out lasts all of em put together? Oki… Oki has stood the test of time in the home and business. The older dot matrix Epson’s were fantastic, I have a old LS model in the closet now, if I need to print a large amount of print, instead of using expensive toner I will drag the beast out, throw a $5 printer ribbon in it and go to town… Printers are coming down in price daily. For the best color print I say color laser. Actually when I need a nice color print of say a picture of one of my grand kids etc I throw it on a disk run down to Kinko’s and for less than $5 I can have it professionally printed. [But my good friend Tom owns the place] Doing that can get expensive but I personally do not print a lot of pictures etc. To each his own but my money, and I am so tight I squeak when I walk, I buy Oki…

Old 01-31-02, 12:01 PM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Shades of yesteryear and perfed greenbar pin fef paper, lol.

bigmike you are so right about the old Epson dot matrix printers. I am still using my AP 5500. This thing has got to be at least 12 years old and it is still going strong. Remember when you could spray WD40 in a used up printer ribbon and it would make it just like new.

Old 01-31-02, 12:04 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Geez...

I had forgot about that! lol Did you just give away your age?