Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Loss of internet activity during dial up session

Visiting Guest

01-11-02, 02:14 PM   #1  
bsesb99
Loss of internet activity during dial up session

Hi, Hope you can help.
I have recently had trouble online with a Dialup connetion.
Info: Gateway 450 w/256 Ram,Netscape 4.78,56K Voice winmodem,3dfx Banshee video card, Win98 SE,DUN 1.4,Norton antivirus

I have had this system for 3 years with no trouble in this area, but after making a connection and starting to load a page(any page) It will stop loading and I can not get any more data,mail or anything. At first I thought just close Netscape,no luck.Log off and redial, No Luck. The only way at first was to reboot... Then I tried to use Hyper Term to dial the gateway server. That seems to "reset" the modem and then I can redial my ISP. This is still the only way I can get going when this happens , several times a day. I get no error messages. I have tried to update modem drivers but to no avail. I did update to Netscape 4.78 from 4.72 no difference.I do not drop the connection, it just doesn't work. Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-11-02, 04:18 PM   #2  
bigmike
TCP/IP

TCP/IP stack may be corrupt. You sound knowlegable so get into Network settings and remove the current TCP/IP setup and re-install it. If that doesn't work my suggestion is to dump that WinModem and get a good USR 56k PCI modem. WinModems are just low on the totem pole and are known for problems. But I would try the stack first and see what happens. You may even want to go as far as re-installing the entire client and go from there.

Search this Thread