Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Processor upgrade not recognized

Visiting Guest

01-16-02, 08:56 AM   #1  
misnomerny
Processor upgrade not recognized

I have a DELL GXa 266mhz computer. According to the documentation it supports a processor upgrade to 333mhz. You supposedly just have to move the speed jumper to 333mhz/RSVD2 and install the processor. It does not work. If I set the jumper at 300mhz, although the processor is underclocked it comes up at 300mhz fine. Anybody have have DELL knowledge that can help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

WI

01-16-02, 10:18 AM   #2  
If you look at the top of your new cpu is there a voltage designation? You may have to change the core voltage as well. at one time I had a list of core voltages for all cpu's (below p4) will see if I can find it.

Brian

found it! Look here: http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/00q2/000412/

Visiting Guest

01-16-02, 10:46 AM   #3  
misnomerny
Re: Core Voltage

I reviewed the chart you linked me to. Can you explain the relationship in the core voltage? The PII shows that it could either be a 2.80 or 2.00 core voltage at both 266mhz and 300mhz. It looks like the PII 333 mhz runs at 2.00 core voltage only. Does that mean if the core voltage is too high, 2.80 that it won't run? I took the same PII 333mhz and jumpered it to 300mhz on the motherboard and it runs. Thanks for the help.

Regards

WI

01-16-02, 12:34 PM   #4  
the higher the core voltage the hotter the cpu runs, the bigger the heat sink needs to be. Its been a while since I looked at a PII but on the top it should have bunch of numbers and one set that reads Vcore or Voltage=2.??.

The only reason you want the (if you are gutsy enough) core voltage set higher then recommended is if you are overclocking the cpu. when you have the cpu set to 300 is the system stable, or are you shutting down at the cpu speed display?

I would set the voltage to 2.0 and 300, see if the machine runs good, (test with a few programs) and then jumper the speed up to 333 and see what happens. If it will not boot into windows check to see if there is a bios upgrade for that machine.

Word of caution... If the voltage is set to high, and you do not have enough of a heat sink you run the risk of damaging the cpu, or having a very unstable machine. (locks up, blue screen, reboots, etc..)

Brian

Search this Thread