new computer

Old 01-19-02, 11:30 AM
durahdurah
Visiting Guest
new computer

Just got a dell, all my passwords and other things are on my old pc, how do I get them from one to the other? Will an external zip drive do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-02, 03:58 PM
If it has windows xp use the migration wizard. My daughter has the new computer, not me, but I think the migration wizard is under system tools in xp. Not even sure of the name, it might be file and settings transfer wizard. On the new computer you can make a floppy disk to use in the old machine to instruct it to collect settings and files for moving. You then use the wizard to move all settings and your files to the new computer. The trick is how to make the move. I was moving from one laptop to another and both had an infrared link, so I used that. Floppies are out of the question because what I moved from my daughter's old to new was over 200 megs. A direct cable connection would be best.

Old 01-20-02, 07:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Moving Files!

Ichabod!

With your description, I guess you have a new pc and you want to move "data" from your old pc to your new one?
If this is the case.

- 1) Open up your Old PC case........remove that hardrive and bring it to your new PC.
- 2) From New PC, Remove the PC CASE and Disconnect your CDROM CABLE from it,
- 3) connect your Old hard drive to your New PC's CDROM Cable.

REBOOT your PC.......

YOU WILL HAVE C:\ and D:\ drive..........(don't freak out if you don't see your CDROM anymore -- It's a temporary disconnect, so don't worry about it).

Now you can ....double click on your D:\ drive and copy any data from there to the new C:\ ( new pc).

Hope it help

Jason Hoang

Old 01-21-02, 04:33 AM
BSB
If you do move the drive over (which works really well for tranfering "files" only) make sure you move the jumper on the "old" drive to slave. If you don't you will only get one drive when you boot up. On the lable it should tell you were to put the jumper for MS (master), SL (slave) and CS (cable select). Also make sure that in bios the IDE controler is set to auto-detect, or get the numbers off the drive and put them in manualy.
If you have any programs that you want to transfer and you no longer have the oem disks you will have to try to copy and past each file the OS is missing when you try to run the program. (is such a pain)

Brian

Old 01-21-02, 05:38 AM
Visiting Guest
BSB is right ;0)

I forgot about the Master and Slave Jumper thing.

However, If you remove the hard drive from your old computer, it should be ***MASTER***.
Plug it into your new computer's CDROM DRIVE cable....(which is secondary Master controller)....
you don't have to change any jumper at all.

( In case your hardrive is not showing up.....follow BSB instruction ) --

Old 01-21-02, 08:09 AM
durahdurah
Visiting Guest
So no on the zip drive huh? thought it would be easier than that.

Old 01-21-02, 08:29 AM
Does the new pc have Windows XP?

Old 01-21-02, 08:40 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
If you just want to move a few MB's of files a floppy, zip or CD-R would do it. What is suggested in these replies is really a great way to move it all and then sift through it. Its fast, works well and free. After you copy the contents over to the new drive you could put the drive back in the old PC or leave it in the new one. You ask about password files and if thats all that is to be moved a floppy would probably hold it. To move an entire disk contents from one PC to another without swapping the drive would take a program like Drive Image, Ghost or something similar that can span the chunks of data onto more than one zip or cd. MS Backup will not do this making it a fairly lame backup tool IMHO for moving huge chunks of data ....Mike

Old 01-21-02, 09:09 AM
This sounds like the best way to transfer the contents of one HD to another and of course it is. However since I have not owned a new name brand since that awful Compaq this may not apply, there was a warranty seal on the cover to the frame. In the owners manual it said if this seal were to be broken, your warranty would be void! Maybe the store bought Computers don't have this warranty seal anymore. I would check to see before cracking the case though. Marturo

Old 01-21-02, 09:19 AM
durahdurah
Visiting Guest
Yes the new pc has windows xp, and yes it has a factory seal.

Old 01-21-02, 09:39 AM
I still suggest using the Windows XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, it's in System Tools. No seals to break or disks to move. It will move all your settings and all your files. You can even select which ones if you like. I just did it and I'm far from a guru and it was easy to move 200 megs of files and settings in just a few minutes. You can move it from your old computer any way you like, floppy, zip, network, direct cable, your choice. I had way too much for floppy and no zip and my cable was bad, so I moved everything from the old laptop into a folder on its desktop. Created a folder on the desktop of the new and let the Wizard move it all by way of ir link. It moved all the passwords, settings, documents, fav's, email addy's, the whole bit. Can't get any easier than this.

See the Microsoft site below for more info.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...sferwizard.asp

Old 01-21-02, 09:47 AM
BSB
Should you not want to break the warranty seal, and dont want to use 1000000000 floppies. if both pc's have usb you can network the two machines that way, or you can use a pc link program and use parrellel connectoin between the 2. It all depends on what the new machine has installed, and what you want to install on the old pc to do the job.

Brian

Old 01-21-02, 10:12 AM
durahdurah
Visiting Guest
Thanks everyone, I'll try the wizard usb to usb.