Sears garage door opener transmitter

Old 01-19-02, 01:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Sears garage door opener transmitter

I have a Sears garage door opener transmitter Model 139.53681B. This hand transmitter is the part that you carry in the car. The garage door can be opened by pressing a button on the wall-mounted control box inside the garage, but will not open when pressing the button on the hand transmitter for the car. At the Sears parts store they told me I needed to reprogram it by pushing a lighted red button up on the back of the motor box and resetting the hand transmitter. Didn't work. The only red button on the motor box appears to be a circuit breaker. Seems like I should have to somehow reprogram the hand transmitter against the wall mounted control box. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-02, 03:48 PM
It's been a long time, but I've installed a few Sears garage door openers. Seems like there was a dip switch inside the motor housing, inside the back cover. You match the dip switch positions with a code posted inside the transmitter housing.

Old 01-19-02, 03:56 PM
Sears was correct. First the wall mount is dumb in so far as it just shorts to ground and sends a signal. It is generally hard wired and does not play part in the programming. The reciever is onboard the opener. The red button you saw is not a circuit breaker. It is the proggramming button. Push the button and a small led light should appear next to it. Press the button on the remote and the light should either go out and the transmitter is programmed. The battery might first be checked as their should be a reason it stopped in the first place.