splicing monitor cables

Old 01-20-02, 11:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Question splicing monitor cables

I am attempting to splice monitor cables and have run into a glitch. One cable has cables within cables. Here is what I have outer red with shieled pink - wire in both. The other cable has both red and pink but are seperate. What do I need to do?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-02, 04:36 AM
BSB
I wuold guess red to red, pink to pink. I thought you could buy a monitor extension cable?

Brian

Old 01-21-02, 07:17 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Not a good idea

What you are doing is not a good idea and is electricaly un-sound! The monitors for one would have to be exact copies and even then that is too much load for your video card not to mention if you make a mistake you could feasibly burn out the buss. Run two video cards as advised by MS or get a video switcher. Actually I doubt what you are doing will even work. I run twin 17" monitors, one has to be AGP the second PCI. This will spread the desktop out and once you use this feature you will never go back to a single monitor.

Old 01-21-02, 08:20 AM
BSB
or get a dual head vid card. not that much more then single

Brian

missed the point of the splice...hehe

Old 01-21-02, 08:40 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Vidoe card

Hey BSB I have never seen a dual vid card, would like to see this. Any names? I always thought you had to run a switcher then with 98 came the dual (up to 5) monitors. Not knocking it! Good idea for displaying the same thing on 2 monitors and probably cheaper/cleaner than a video switch. Thanks bud...

Old 01-21-02, 10:13 AM
BSB
Both ATI and nVidia have "twin view" cards. nVidia does because ATI does. hehe

heres one: http://208.158.105.29/P_1044.htm

heres the one from ATI: http://www.vistapc.com//product_deta...QN390DN9UJ9DC7
ATI requires a 15pin adapter because I think the 2nd head is DVI output, but adapter lets you use monitor.

And many of Matrox cards are dual head (twin view) aswell.
http://www.vistapc.com//product_deta...QN390DN9UJ9DC7

I think Matrox was the first to offer dual head cards because they were falling behind in the GPU race and needed a product boost.

Brian

p.s.
I would like to go dual display, but my wife would drop a brick if I put 2 19" monitors on my desk. I dont think a 19" and 15" would look very cool. I can see myself playing games on that set up. hehe And if you have about 5K you can get a special dual moniter set up that only has 1" of white frame(instead of almost 4") between the two screens.

Old 01-21-02, 11:04 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Cool

Thanks dude, I have never seen this before. Learn something new every day eh? I haven't read all of these yet but does this allow you to spread out your desktop like Windoze does now with two cards?

Old 01-21-02, 11:29 AM
BSB
yep. these cards were introduced to illiminate the need for 2 cards.

Brian

Old 01-22-02, 04:02 AM
Visiting Guest
I broke a couple of pins.

Old 01-22-02, 07:22 PM
Jerry,

I have the same problem with having broken pins on the video cable. I looked at splicing a good cable onto the bad one but gave up on it after looking inside the cable. I thought it might be easier to open the monitor and do the connections inside the monitor instead of splicing, but I haven't had time yet. Let us know if you're sucessful.

Nashcat

Old 01-22-02, 08:25 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Point

Your missing the point, the cable will most likely not be able to be spliced successfully. The shielding alone for the video signal must be kept intact. You not talking about a patch cord from a VCR to a TV. The signal for the monitor is much smaller and needs to be kept isolated. Try it if your brave but I doubt it will work. Try it if your brave but I doubt it will work. Soldering a new connector on is not the same as splicing the wire in the middle etc.

Search this Thread