Problem setting up second HD

Old 01-24-02, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Problem setting up second HD

On my P2-400, I had replaced my 5 gig HD with a 20 gig one and installed Win2000. I am having trouble with the driver for my scanner and it was suggested I reformat the drive again and make sure I install the correct drivers the first time.
Before I do this I want to recover some data from the new HD.
I reinstalled the old HD with Win98 as the master and set the new drive with Win2000 (NTFS file system)as the slave. With the bios for both drives set to auto-detect, it succesfully set up the drives which I could see in the start-up screen. The problem is that My Computer does not show a D drive, only the A drive and my two CD drives.
How do I set up my D drive?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-02, 06:18 AM
Easiest way: reverse the drives. Other ways: use the Win2000 drive convension tool to convert NTFS to fat32. Install a third party multi boot loader that understands NTFS. Use one of the DOS extender programs that can see NTFS; then copy things with DOS commands. The problem: Win9x cannot see the NTFS partition.

Old 01-25-02, 08:08 AM
NTFS is a one way trip. You go there you can never go back to Fat unless you reformat with W2K or Fdisk it and reformat.

GregH

A bad driver in W2k shouldn't require a reformat. I should just mean a trip to the manufacuture's website to see if there are drivers.

Bad news, a lot of manufacture's are purposely not writing drivers for 2000 or XP in an attempt to get people to buy more hardware.

By the way, is this a parallel port, usb, or scsi scanner?

Old 01-25-02, 09:38 AM
mrhoadar
Agreed: the statement that Microsoft tools will convert NTFS to Fat32 is erred. Also agreed that with MS tools NTFS is one way. Ten lashes for me. When you're right, you're right. [For you thats nearly all of the time. I respect your knowledge... thus I verifed my err.].

But I disagree that NTFS is untouchable. Partition Magic, among others, will convert NTFS to fat32. Since MS does not support third party utilities [no money in it, honey] use of is at your own risk.

GregH,
I apologize for the err and this interruption.

Old 01-26-02, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
The whole story.

I am trying to install a Umax USB scanner on Win 2000. I have used this scanner for about a year on Win 98.
After installing the supplied drivers the scanner did not work. I then went to the Umax site and downloaded and installed the Win 2000 update files. The scanner still would not work. I was getting a link failure error message.
A local tech told me of a similar problem he has had with Win 2000 and had to reformat the HD and reinstall the drivers. This is why I wanted to reformat, not knowing any better.
After spending more time on the Umax site I came across a FAQ that refers to my problem. They suggest that the scanner and all the drivers be uninstalled and then go and search for and delete all twain files and kpcms files. I must then deselect one of the programs when reinstalling the driver and updater files.
Windows is not letting me uninstall a couple of the files, but it could be that they are for the printer. I will uninstall the USB printer and all the scanner software and drivers tomorrow.Then I will do a proper install of the scanner drivers.
I was able to sucessfully install the drivers on my son's Win 2000 'puter and the scanner worked fine.

The problem must be caused by not doing a proper install the first time.
Reformatting would probably work, but would be more trouble than making a proper diagnosis.

PS: What is your opinion of using NTFS file system?

Old 01-28-02, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
An update and a question.

I tried deleting the twain and kpcms files that Umax said to, and have two twain files that can not be deleted. I get a message that they are in use by another program. I uninstalled my USB printer and drivers in case it was in use by the printer. In fact even after deleting and cleaning out the recycle bin most of the twain files came back after a restart.
What gives?

Old 01-28-02, 03:10 PM
1st question NTFS is a better, faster, and more robust file system but, as you found out, you can't read the disk with a Win9x OS. Hence, you can't just boot up with a floppy and fix the disk or copy the files. On a network, NTFS does give you somemore security options than FAT.

2nd Quesiton: Not all Twain files are directly connected to hardware. Some files are there even if you have no twain device. Also, your scanner maybe using the same files as another device which may not be USB. Twain and USB are two separte services so one thing may have nothing to do with the other. If it is just the Twain files I would go ahead with a reinstall.

Also, you should have an icon in the control panel for cammeras and scanners. You might try deleting from there.

Old 01-30-02, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Final fix found.

Thank you all for your input.
I e-mailed Umax about my problem and they promptly sent me a file called FILEMOVE.BAT and the procedure for install. I did what they said and the scanner fired up right away.
I appreciate their help but wonder why they didn't put the correct patches on their web site.

Oh well.