Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

laptop display

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-24-02, 10:46 PM   #1  
laptop display

Hi all

have a compaq 1592dt laptop, that has the problem of the screen going crazy sometimes, it blanks out then comes on line again. the promblem goes away if you open a new window, anyway seems like it may be a short? as moving or tappinp the screen may correct it.

before i attempt to open the unit, any advice would be great.

kind regards

Jamie

Sponsored Links

IL

01-25-02, 10:46 AM   #2  
One thing to check before openning up the case is the display settings. Check the Screen Save Tab and at the bottom should be the Energy Star Settings. It may be that your computer is trying to go to sleep before it should. Compaq may also have some energy saving features built in with both software settings and bios settings. Again, your problem may be that your laptop is a little to enthusiastic about saving energy and cleaning up the environment.

Visiting Guest

01-25-02, 11:17 AM   #3  
xiii13
I agree with mrhoadar. Your energy saving features might be set to aggressively. Try them first before taking anything apart.

Visiting Guest

01-25-02, 11:47 AM   #4  
bigmike
Knowlege

Hey Jamie unless you have better than average knowlege of electronics I would not advise cracking the case of a laptop! Super small wires, ribbon cables that are delicate, snap tight connectors the open very easy but are not noticable, not to mention static electricity. Even a small chage that you may not feel the CPU or memory may. Before you do let us know and one of us will adivse on how to procede. A few of these young guys here are very sharp and between them and us old farts we will figure it out

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-28-02, 09:31 PM   #5  
Thanks to All, will probe into settings, and will let you know.

regards

Jamie

Visiting Guest

01-29-02, 03:18 PM   #6  
amccavitt
yeah, sounds like a loose connection if tapping makes it come back online,,,i work on these things all the time, and like someone said before,,i would not attempt it if you dont know what you are doing....id call compaq and find the nearest service center.....where ya located?

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-29-02, 06:39 PM   #7  
yes, settings have made no change.

Perth, Australia if anyone knows of a good price repair centre.

Regards

Jamie

Visiting Guest

01-30-02, 06:48 AM   #8  
bigmike
Call

Call them, they will be able to tell you where to go If there is no repair station there you may have to send to?

Search this Thread