Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

internet ex.

Visiting Guest

01-25-02, 06:06 PM   #1  
1mad-dog
internet ex.

when i click on internet explorer to connect to internet i get page cannot be displayed.does this one time then i can connect.isp said i probably had corrupted file,so we deleted tcp/ip and other things (cant remember) reinstalled, had to reboot several times.still have problem.system is dell,windows me.think i still have corrupded file,any suggestions appreceiated.thxs

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-26-02, 06:43 AM   #2  
mikejmerritt
1mad-dog, What version of Windows and IE do you have?

Visiting Guest

01-26-02, 07:54 AM   #3  
1mad-dog
thxs mike,it says in system info.under internet exp. version 5.50,microsoft windows millieium.but under system summary it says version 4.90.so i guess i have the newer version,hope i gave you the right info.thxs

Visiting Guest

01-27-02, 06:55 PM   #4  
mikejmerritt
I don't have ME....

but heres some shots in the dark. If ME will let you here the modem dial turn it up so that you can make sure it is dialing the first time. Me has some form of system file checker and I would run that. I was going to suggest you run IE Repair Tool but in looking into this I see ME has no such tool.....Mike

Visiting Guest

01-28-02, 01:28 PM   #5  
xiii13
In properties under Internet Explorer did you check to make sure your Home Page Address is correct.

Just another thought.

Visiting Guest

01-28-02, 01:51 PM   #6  
bigmike
IE 6.0

You need to upgrade to IE 6.0. It is available thru your Windoze Updates option.

Visiting Guest

01-28-02, 03:47 PM   #7  
1mad-dog
okay thxs for reply.downloaded version 6.0 still no luck,modem does not dial the first time.trying to locate system file checker but cannot find,could you tell me were its located.homepage has correct address also.dont know if this is related but sometimes computer stops responding while browesing,shows im still connected but wont show page,have to reconnect to internet.sometimes i think my isp should pay me to use their service,lol.any more replys appricated.

Visiting Guest

01-28-02, 08:08 PM   #8  
bigmike
Hey Trinitro?

Hey Trinitro what do you think? Stack overflow? Hey Mad dog, have you went to the MS update site and done any of the recomended updates? I haven't used dialup in a couple of years now so I can't for the life of me remember how to adjust the stacks higher. Will sleep on it an try to remember tomorrow...

Visiting Guest

02-02-02, 05:09 AM   #9  
1mad-dog
sry for the delay mike,yes i have all the recommended updates,visit the site reguarly.let me know if you have any more suggestions.dell will not even try to help,keep saying isp problem,so much for the extended warranty,lol.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

02-02-02, 07:45 AM   #11  
Some information that would help is who is the ISP that you are using and what type of modem. I have run into some integrated modems that this is a common problem, they will not connect to the ISP on the first time around and you always have to hit the connection a second time to get connected. Also another question I would normally ask is if this just started recently or has been happening since you owned the system. First lets clear up some of your follow up questions.

Easiest way to run system file checker is to click on start then run and type in "sfc" and hit OK...

What I would suggest as a start is to remove all communication software on your system. That includes any ISP that you dont use, AOL, MSN, Worldnet ect. that may have been bundled into that Dell software. Then go into add/remove programs | windows setup and remove the check mark next to communication. When it asks to reboot click No. Then go into network area of the control panel and remove all the networking protocols and say yes to rebooting after you click out of there. after the reboot go back to communication and just install Dialup networking and maybe Hyperterminal. IF at any time during the removal of the software or the re-install it tells you that some files are older then what you have click NO to keeping the updated files. That will guarentee that it is the default software from ME and not some modified files from the ISPs.

You may also want to check with Dell for an updated driver for the modem. Also if you are getting the run around from your ISP tech support saying its Dell's problem and Dell is saying its your ISP. It might be time to utilize three way calling and get them both on the line and let them point fingers at each other that way If nothing it always makes for a humorous call

02-04-02, 10:36 AM   #12  
Oh yes... modems.... I remember people using them in the old days...
Anyway, it's not unusual for the computer not to connect the first time. In most cases it's either a bad phone line (noise, or too many multiplexers on the line), or a bad driver. I assume you don't want to reinstall the OS. In that case, remove the modem, remove the whole networking subsytem, and reboot. Reinstall the drivers. I've noticed that sometimes Windows update has "updated" drivers that don't work. I've ran into that twice already, it was downloading and installed drivers for the wrong hardware. Don't use that to update your drivers, go to the manufacturer's website and do it that way. Anyway, after you installed the modem, make sure there are no questions or exclamations marks next to it. Next make a new dial-up connection. First of course you need to reinstall Client for Microsoft, TCP/IP, and the Dialup adapter. Everything should work now. After you connect succesfully, run WinIPcfg and make sure you have all of the IP numbers (including DNS). Now it should work... You should not need to adjust the stack any higher...
If you can connect and browse, but you get disconnected often it's usually a phone line problem. If you can connect, but can't browse, try to get the DNS numbers from your ISP and manually enter them in the TCPIP tab. If still doesn't work then upgrade to XP.

02-04-02, 10:38 AM   #13  
One more thing. If you use MSN or Earthlink, just use a straight dialer and not their client. I don't know much about the MSN client, but the Earthlink client is terrible. It crashes often and it usually brings down the whole system with it.

Visiting Guest

02-06-02, 08:29 PM   #14  
1mad-dog
sry for not replying earlier(dad in hospital).anyway,ill try removeing modem,etc,as trinitro recommended.tarenger,its a local isp with a conexant hcf v90 rtad speakerphone pci modem.problem started probably about 2 months after i bought system.also,just to be sure you understand my question,the screen wont pop up to ask me to connect to internet the first time,just page cannot be displayed,then i clear and click on int. exp. then the connect screen comes up. by the way trinitro i think there still using copper wire for phone line in my neck of the woods LOL.ah the good ole days.thxs for the replys.

Search this Thread