Scanner produces "black" image

Old 01-28-02, 02:16 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Scanner produces "black" image

I've scanned several images today and now it's producing a black image (nothing). I heard it make a sound that I hadn't heard before, just before finishing scanning: sort of like a loud "click" (???). Does anyone know why my scanner isn't scanning properly? I checked the " Help" section for the scanner and didn't find anything that applied to my problem. Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-02, 06:54 PM
The only things I can think of besides a mechanical failure is that somehow your brightness and contrast settings got messed up or your scan area has been reduced to a black area of the picture. What size are the resulting files that come out all black?

Old 01-28-02, 07:10 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply. The resulting files, you were asking.... I didn't notice when the scan was complete, but the black area was the total area of the scanning bed, if that's any help. I haven't changed any settings.

One thing that happened awhile back is that when I scanned something, I didn't notice that I had a portion of the lighted glass (which isn't part of the scanning area, but a narrow strip of glass above that), covered by the paper I was scanning. It seemed to affect the scanner, but I don't remember how, although it seems to be taking longer to scan than I remember that it did previously. It seems to me that that narrow strip of glass needed to uncovered before scanning the first time because it was a "lock" of some sort.

If he problem corrects itself, I'll be sure to post that, but I've tried restarting the computer to see if that helps, but it didn't.

Thank you,
mlminin

Old 01-28-02, 08:02 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool More...

Operating system? Scanner make/model? Age of scanner? Computer type? Is the copy light on while it scans? Bright light so you should be able to tell. Have it run a scan with the lid up, won’t hurt a thing. If the light isn't bright and clear there’s the problem. Cable fully plugged in? Software errors? Have u tried to re-install the software? Have you went to the manufacturer’s website and checked their trouble shooting and device driver upgrade features? This to me sounds like the copy light has burnt out. If so buy a new one, not worth your money to repair it. A large hammer will sometimes bring it to the light.

Old 01-29-02, 05:00 PM
Cool

I bought a fancy-dancy HP legal-sized scanner for several hundred bucks in late '98, and it never worked from *. slllloooooowwww...
I finally bought a $99 Canon scanner off of a TV thing, and it works great!
Junk the old, in with the new.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 01-29-02, 07:52 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Hi bigmike, OldGuy and mrhoadar. I just tried the scanner again and it worked. Before starting the scan, I pushed the back plugs into the machine in case they might have not been fully plugged in. I'm not sure if they were or not, but I think the smaller of the two wasn't. The light works fine.

What I have is a rebuilt Compaq, Windows 95 recently upgraded to Windows 98. Scanner is HP ScanJet 3200C and nearly 3 years old.

There weren't any software errors. I hadn't checked the website, but had looked at the "Help" section for the scanner, which didn't address the problem, at least where I looked. Your question about the drivers reminds me that I need to post some other computer problem questions in other posts if I don't see anything that "fits" in the archives.

Being it's working now, do you think that the cause of the problem was the plug not being in all the way? Would that have caused the scan to turn out black? If so, I think that's what it was.

Thank you for All for your suggestions. I always appreciate the help that I get on this site in it's many forums.

mlminin

Old 01-30-02, 06:38 AM
If the power cable was loose it shouldn't have worked at all. If a data cable was loose then that was your problem. All it takes is one pin not making contact to ruin your day.

Old 01-30-02, 06:45 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Probably was the connections. On the HP website there are upgrade drivers for the 3200. You should get them and install them. They may not be for what you are experiencing but the are for standby power problems etc. Always check connections first if something like this happens. Save yourself a lot of heartache

Old 01-31-02, 03:38 AM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
Always check connections...

Upgrade drivers...

Gotcha!

Thank you,
mlminin