Outlook messages

Old 02-05-02, 06:47 PM
Outlook messages

My outlook folders are overloaded with old emails that I want to keep. I am limited to the amount of old emails I can keep on our office mail server. So I want to copy them to my hard drive folders.
When I select several email messages, and drag them to my windows explorer folder, the subject of the messages become the file name. That's no problem except that I put the same subject in the message for many email for a common project. So when it is copying the messages to my hard drive, windows explorer askes whether I want to over write a message that has the same subject (file name).
Is there a way to rename the subjects automatically with the send date of the message, for ease of find an old message, and the ability of saving multiple messages from the same project in a common folder without being asked whether I want to over write (thus not all messages will be copied).

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-02, 04:29 AM
BSB
Have you tried exporting to file? If your using outlook and not outlook express saving as an .xls is the easiest to read. If you export to a .txt file you get one very very long text message. excel has enough fields that can keep each message in the same thread separate.

Brian

Old 02-06-02, 06:25 AM
This would require it be done on a message by message basis, right?
I have about 200 to do. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 02-06-02, 06:49 AM
I thought Outlook keeps email copies locally, along with the attachements. You can leave a copy of the message on the server, but it will download a copy locally and keep it. I have 8000 messages in my Outlook, all stored locally automatically. There's probably something about your question that I don't understand...

Old 02-06-02, 08:14 AM
BSB
If you export, its usualy done per box. i.e. inbox, sent, etc.

you just select what box (folder) you want the messages exported from and where you want them placed. Kinda like doing a back up.

Brian

Old 02-06-02, 02:21 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Saving mail

Go to Windoze Explorer. Create a new folder IE: Saved Email. Open the folder inside Outlook you want to copy/save. Right click, select all, copy. Go to the new folder and right click, paste. This will copy the entire Outlook folder you selected to the new folder, delete the old stuff in Outlook. Whenever you want to view one of the old mails just double click it, Outlook will open it. This works with all Outlook folders…

Old 02-06-02, 06:04 PM
bigmike,
You method is the one that I had been tring to use. If more than one message has the same subject (the new file name), then it will not save the 2nd, 3rd ..... because of an already existing file name with tht name (contents of the subject line).
I will look into the local copy method, mentioned by trinitro. My home email works the way trinitro says, but the office stuff is different, for now. I would like to unclutter outlook and place the messages in a regular hard drive folder for arciving, so I might need to rethink this.

Old 02-06-02, 06:36 PM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
My office uses a 10MB limit on email storage. But for CYA gotta save some messages.......

Use the HELP menu in Outlook and read up on/make a 'Personal Folder'.
This will create a place to store email (by you moving from 'Inbox') locally; on your harddrive, yet seamlessly, intergrates with Outlook.

Now you have a storage place for emails that behaves very similar to the 'Inbox' but will not rename your files. When you set 'Personal Folder' if not needed, do not use encryption or a password. Pls give this a try.

Bluecanary25

Old 02-06-02, 08:20 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool rename them

Well this idea works the fastest and easiest. So as these no name mails come in give them a name. I do anyway. For ones that are duplicating just add a number to the saved mail. Mail1, mail2, mail3 etc. There are export filters and such in Outlook and the best way to figure them out is use them. I am trying to put Outlook to much better use than I previously have. Outlook 2002 really has some nice features (w/Office XP Pro.) and the junk mail filters etc really work well. Plus it will do Hotmail and Yahoo mail too I think. Don’t use Yahoo as it’s too intrusive. Anyway rename em and move on to the next question/test. Managing you address books! I belong to a joke list and send on average 50 mails out at a time passing jokes and messages along. Outlook really does well with big mailing lists!