Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Scanning (sizing)

NJ

02-08-02, 06:50 AM   #1  
Scanning (sizing)

I'm trying to get wsomethiong posted on a web site and they want me to provide two pictures - one 270x180 pixels and one 70x70 pixels. I am using a HP 5300c scanner to scan the pictures - but it doesn't give me a choice as to sizing - other than decreasing x%. I have written to HP - but no response yet... they say they have a huge number of requests and I need to be patient (like maybe buy a lexmark next time???) Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 07:05 AM   #2  
bigmike
Word

Save the scan to your drive. Open the scan with Paint Shop Pro or Paint. Even MS Word will have an editor. Re-size the picture there.

NJ

02-08-02, 09:26 AM   #3  
scan

hanks bigmike - i tried and could not get it to work. I scanned the file to my hard drive. Then I opened it in Paint. No problem so far. Then in paint I went to >image >attributes. and adjusted the width and height to the pixels I wanted - but it just gave me a small portion of the picture. it didn't reduce the entire pictuer to the number of pixels I wanted. Any other things I can try? What did I do wrong? (working with it as a bit map - is that the problem? Do I need to save it as a different format?
Thanks

Visiting Guest

02-08-02, 09:51 AM   #4  
bigmike
jpg

Re-save it as a Jpeg. Stretch & Skew it down to the size you want. This takes a little experimentation to get to the size etc you want. Jpegs are easier to work with than BMP.

Super Moderator

CANADA

02-08-02, 06:04 PM   #5  
bogey:

bigmike is right about about jpeg. You should be able to set your scanner to scan and save directly to .jpg. Bitmap files use tons of space and are too big to be posted on the web. You can resize in word, but I think you can only do it in inches and not pixels. I use Photo Shop to do what you want to do, but I'm sure a good paint program can do the same thing.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

IL

02-09-02, 02:43 PM   #6  
I think you're going to need software a little more powerful than Paint. The level of photo editing you need to reduce a picture to precise dimensions is in the area of photoshop lite, corel photo paint or Ulead photo editor. There are also a few lower costs ones out there. You also might check out a couple of sites that might have a trial photo editor that only lasts 30 days. Should be enough time to get what you need.

Search this Thread