link from automotive forum-access difficulty

Old 02-08-02, 12:59 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
link from automotive forum-access difficulty

hi guys....I spend most of my forum time in Automotive but have perused most others on occasion.....problem is this.....knuckles (auto moderator) posted a link to a Chilton's site for free repair proceedures online. When I open this link I can access the first couple of steps, listing what year and model, etc., on the third step I continually get a brief CGI something page that won't open fully then immediately the basic "page cannot be displayed" message from Windows....message refers to a completely different site, www.cyberpartspro.com, which I have accessed and found to be a "pay per view" site using Chilton info.....after trying for a couple of hours yesterday I was allowed into the real Chilton site one time, played around in there for a while, all was great....next time I tried it, and ever since, no go, keeps trying to get me to register with the cyberpro people.....both Joe-F and knuckles of automotive can access it freely, at least one other user besides me is having the same problems I am.....any of you "guru's" over here have any helpful suggestions for us shadetree mechanic's?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-02, 02:09 PM
I get the sam thing....either the site is too busy, or they have an improperly designed site. Clicking refresh sometimes brings the information forward.

Old 02-08-02, 04:23 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I stray into Computers and Automotive some myself. Are you guys talking about this link http://www.autolibrary.org/ I happened on it Thursday and it worked well and I just went again with no problems. I went all the way to an exploded view of the timing cover of my Regal. This is the first free site I've seen for this type of thing. As for what may be the problem I don't know.....Mike

Old 02-08-02, 04:43 PM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
thanks for the response, Mike.....yes, that's the one......it was a great site the one time I got in, wish it would happen again once in a while.....

Old 02-08-02, 07:53 PM
I couldn't take the suspense, so I hacked the site with browser settings and read the markup.

Lauched enabled IFRAME - frame source code only. Lauched disabled IFRAME - source on the second page - the interesting part.

Want in? Enable Active Scripting. Form Input type is hidden.
Want further access? Enable ActiveX - has script controls. I did not enable ActiveX, nor will I. (This may be the redirect or any other damn thing, useful or not).

You could try access with IFRAME enabled and disabled and both of the former enabled and see how far you get and wether the redirect occurs or not.

View the source on entry. You'll see that http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/ is not a remote sight. Nothing wrong with the source --- adjust your browser settings.

Old 02-09-02, 08:58 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
I agree this is a browser setting; I accessed the site with no problem per 2000’s setting advice. When I turned all off and went back to my normal setting of no active X no Iframe across domains etc I could not get in and was redirected. Problem with running all your x and Iframe stuff is you can get hurt by destructive code. I run all setting like 2000 says on all the time but I am careful about where I go. I did get a little from a redirect from and ad that I accidentally clicked on in Hotmail. Meant to click something else. But I turned of my DSL modem and broke the link before it could get me too bad. Help me 2000 I am drawing a blank, (brain fart) it’s the code that repeats the link infinitely? Anyway by breaking the connection the unfortunately having to do a hard reset I stopped it.

Old 02-09-02, 09:57 AM
mooser1
Visiting Guest
I guess the concensus is that I would have to alter my browser settings to access this site.....trouble is, I am a computer newbie and don't know exactly how to accomplish this.....if I can't point my mouse at it and click on it, I'm lost.....thanks for the help guys, I appreciate the responses.....

OK, I'm in!!! lowered my privacy settings concerning cookies.......
thanks for the help......

Last edited by mooser1; 02-09-02 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-09-02, 12:10 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Yep'er

That’s exactly what I was going to say to do. Should have in the last post. Sorry…

Old 02-09-02, 05:12 PM
Bigmike, they are running server sided exes. No doubt site benine.

My peeve with junk like this is it's totally unnecessary to expose clients to unnecessary vulnerably for information purposes. I also understand that free is not unencumbered.

Search this Thread