Managing System Resources

Old 02-09-02, 09:04 PM
Question Managing System Resources

Hi,

I recentl contacted my ISP about a slow down of my connection. I suspected it maybe my PC causing the problem but wanted to give them a chance to say there was something wrong on their side. Anyway, the rep gave me instructions on how to check my PC system resources: (Right click on your My Computer icon and choose Properties Click on the Performance tab and see what is listed for Percentage of System Available System Resources).
I found I was at 60%, he said I needed to be at 80% or greater to run without problems. I also looked the proccess running in the background via alt-control-delete and was surpised to find 15+ running. The only thing I had open was Outlook Express, IE, and my virus scan. And the only thing in my startup menu is MS Find Fast (which I don't even know what that is.). So, my question is this. Is there a good way to manage what is starting up each time I satrt my PC? Thanks, Shawn

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-02, 09:44 PM
If you're runnin Win98 and ME you can run msconfig to control whats running at startup. You can disable the Find fast, I didn't find what it does yet. There should be several programs already loaded, including Explorer.

Old 02-10-02, 08:53 AM
uh2
Visiting Guest
Get rid of FindFast

Delete it from your start up group. It's a part of MS Office, and it's the devil! I've worked in several corporate enovironments (2000+ PC's) and it's always causing problems. If you need more detailed help, let me know.

uh2

Old 02-10-02, 01:30 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Just a link...

Heres a good site on this subject http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Index.htm

Old 02-10-02, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all the good info. I used msconfig and resources have improved from the low 60's to the mid 70's. Not quite the 80% they said I needed but oh so much closer.

The website is very informative too. It helped identify some of the junk I didn't need at startup very easily.

I removed FindFast too. I had done that the other night but Explorer kept crashing on me when I killed it. So, I'm going to try it again for a while without findfast. So far...so good!