Internet connection Painfully slow

Old 02-13-02, 10:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Internet connection Painfully slow

Is it MSN's access?

Or is it my computer? It's a fairly new computer with a 800MHz processorm and a decent modem.

What are some of the things I can check?

Thanks

Old 02-14-02, 04:11 AM
BSB
What kind of speeds are you getting? A 33.6 usually only get about 30, and a 56k tops at around 53k. My 56k only connects at 49.2k. what operating system are you using? 2000 is better then 98 for internet conections.

Brian

Old 02-14-02, 05:26 AM
T
Depending on the area, MSN does have a laggins issue with their DNS servers. It seems it takes a painfully long time for the DNS server to resolve addresses. The problem gets worse at peak times. I had partial success when I added diferent DNS server entries manually into the TCPIP properties. Not MSN's, but SBC's.

Old 02-15-02, 08:56 PM
WHile I'm posting this reply, I'm connected at 45,333.
I'm using the 2000 Millenium Edition operating system on a HP pavillion with a 800MHz Intel Celeron processor.

It sometimes takes me 15 minutes to just sign on, so I'm thinking it might have something to do with the MSN access. I change numbers, and sometimes that helps, but most of the time it doesn't.

Old 02-15-02, 09:28 PM
T
Perhaps you should try another ISP , and see if it makes any difference. I'm pretty sure it will. Ameritech has been very good for me, althought I haven't used their dial up in about 6 months due to the DSL line I have.

Old 02-16-02, 09:42 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Clean up

Well what’s wrong with that connection? 45 kbs connect is great for dialup. If you are having navigation problems I would look to your phone lines, do you get more than 3 disconnects a week? When’s the last time you dumped your cookie files? Temp directory? Internet Explorer’s history folder. I found a program called System Manager. I don’t often recommend a program solution to problems but this one is pretty handy. www.iolo.com and check it out. I paid for the upgrade and this program really cleans up a drive. Scandisk and defrag? Look in device manager and see if you have good drivers. Say no more than 6 months old, go to the manufacturer and update. Try these things then holler.

Old 03-01-02, 04:06 PM
maximus1900
Visiting Guest
Cool speed

I have a 1000mhz with a P3. I use walmart connect dial-up service a 56k modem and I top out around 115,200bps. I'm running Me. What is your maximum connection set at? Try reconfig. something in that area. On my back-up pc I'm running the same OS but its a 900mhz Intel and the connection on it is around 45,000 so it may be the pc,os,and or isp.

Old 03-02-02, 12:17 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Speed

The 115,2 connect is bogus. By law the maximum connect speed is 45 K/bs. The 115,2 is the “Port” speed that was set when the modem connects. On a good connect you should see, connect at say 45k/bs, about 4 to 7 kbs download speeds. This varies because your connection differs form second to second. Traffic on the net, amount of users on the particular site your are accessing etc all have an effect on your speed. I run DSL, my usual downloads are one Meg files in 7 seconds. My last connection was a cable modem, usual one Meg download times were a Meg in 4 seconds or less. Dialup? A Meg in 5 minutes if I’m lucky. The copper lines, most of them 50 or more years old, how far you are to the switch. So many variables for dialup. DSL and cable also have their problems too, my DSL was out for over 13 hours, had to use dialup, and had to shave twice while getting my email… Anyway, there is little you can do to improve dialup connections. There are programs out there that say they can adjust MTU speeds of the buss but they rarely work and often cause more heartache than help. Bite the bullet, get off dialup. DSL and cable runs what? $40 a month. Well I won’t pay that… but you do, second phone line minimum $20 a month and you’re ISP? $19.95 unless you’re a sucker and pay AOL’s exorbitant prices, $25 for dialup… As Bill Engvall say’s, “Here’s your sign”

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: