Wake On Lan

Old 02-18-02, 07:27 PM
Question Wake On Lan

I have a Soyo Motherboard and D-link NIC which both support Wake On Lan. The card is plugged into the motherboard with the WOL connector. Does anyone have any idea how to use it. The manuals only explain how to connect it. There is no liturature in the manuals or online explaining how to execute it from a remote (or local) computer.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-02, 04:10 AM
BSB
You must first enable the WOL in bios. Works like wake on ring for remote access.

Read the info on this site: http://www.networking.ibm.com/eji/ejiwake.html

Brian

Old 02-20-02, 06:57 AM
A couple of other things. You can only wake a computer from a level 3 or lower shutdown. Level 4 is a complete power down. Sometimes people use words like standby(level 1) or hibernate(level2). I don't recall a common name for level 3. The next thing is to make sure you have a spot on the motherboard to plug you WOL cable. It is a short green and red cable with little two prong jumper connectors on the ends. The last thing you need is a way of generating the wake up call. Most network cards use Magic Packets. The comercial software that does this is expensive. I've been using a freeware programs called Wakeonlan. I honestly don't remember where I got it.