Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

time keeping

Visiting Guest

02-27-02, 06:32 PM   #1  
tstokka
time keeping

why do i keep having to change the time on my computer? It's constantly loosing minutes

Sponsored Links

02-27-02, 06:48 PM   #2  
Because computers make lousy watches. None are accurate time keepers.

Visiting Guest

02-27-02, 07:16 PM   #3  
tstokka
can i get a decent answer and no jokes?

Visiting Guest

02-27-02, 07:41 PM   #4  
mcgub
Your CMOS battery is dying...looks like a watch battery on your motherboard...replace it and you won't have that problem anymore.

02-27-02, 08:08 PM   #5  
I also was tired of changing mine so I downloaded Atomic Clock Sync from download.com. It pings with the Atomic clock periodically and automatically adjusts. Perfect time all the time!

02-27-02, 08:22 PM   #6  
That was no joke.

The system timer is an interrupt driven service. The interrupt has the highest priority. At the BIOS level 18 clock ticks or interrupts occur per second. 18 is derived from a mathematical algorithm that approximates one second. Note the word approximates.

If your computer had nothing better to do than invoke this interrupt, keeping time in the process, over a period of time there would be a difference between real time and the time reported on your computer.

The next phase of the problem is the Operating System, Applications programs, and the instructions used within. Either the OS or an applications program can disable interrupts with instructions. That would be done during some types of critical operations. Interpret services are enabled as soon afterward as possible. In a well written program a guesstimate of how many clock ticks were lost would be made. Afterward an attempt would be made to make up the clock ticks. The aspect of approximation is still ever present.

So, phase one is the approximation performed by the BIOS. Phase two is which OS you're using and what applications you're running. In other words: computers make lousy watches

Visiting Guest

02-28-02, 04:49 PM   #7  
bigmike
Perfect

And that ladies and gentleman is what you call the “Perfect” answer…

NC

03-03-02, 09:26 AM   #8  
I once had a problem with my relatively new computer clock losing about 20 minutes every 24 hours.
Turns out I had a virus.
Got rid of the virus, got a Virus Scan...no more problems.
"A computer e-lliterate."
Mike
(And I just downloaded that atomic clock thing, too. Thanks.)

Visiting Guest

03-03-02, 09:05 PM   #9  
bigmike
Time

A company called "World Time" from www.pawprint.com has a very nice little clock setup the syncs to government time, keeps track of all types of time related appointments etc. Definitely worth a look. Been running it for years now…

NC

03-04-02, 06:03 AM   #10  
Yeah, bigmike.
And that atomic clock thing that I downloaded resets my clock forward three hours with its daily sync thing. LOL
(And I don't know how to reset the atomic clock.)
Now I'll try yours.
Thanks.
Mike

TX

03-07-02, 07:45 AM   #11  
Battery

My puter is also doing the same thing turns out the Battery on the board for the BIOS is going out.I asked the computer guy at the store if this affects any other functions and he said no.Also if you were to change it you would have to do a bunch of stuff in the BIOS and since I am pretty computer stupid I will live with the slow clock.

Visiting Guest

03-07-02, 09:41 AM   #12  
jlbos83
If the battery is going, one day you will try to boot up and it's not going to happen! You need to record you BIOS setting now, while it's working, and get that battery changed.

I think that both reasons for inaccurate clock are true. While running, the disabling and enabling of interrupts is going to lead to an accumulation of error. If the BIOS battery and timer are good this 'should' be corrected when you boot up, and the system clock is reset to match the BIOS clock (at least that's how it used to be, has it changed?) If I remember right the BIOS clock is reset when the time is set (help me here...). Anyway, if the battery is going, time is going to get messed up.

Jeff

Search this Thread