Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Printers for a computer

Visiting Guest

03-03-02, 10:45 AM   #1  
maxxie
Printers for a computer

I want to purchase a printer to use with my inspiron 4100 laptop. I saw a HP750 3 in 1 printer,scanner, and copier. That was ok. I heard that HP are the best. I am interested in quality of the printing and the copying but price is also an issue. Can anyone recommend a quality 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 printer? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-03-02, 09:00 PM   #2  
bigmike
Money

There are dozens of them. Look for the best price with a good warranty. I prefer OKI printers. HP is the best only because the market is flooded with them. Samsung has some nice units out as well as Sharp. As always you get what you pay for so shop around and find what you want. Stay away from off the wall stuff, if you donít recognize the name, or canít pronounce it, donít buy itÖ

Visiting Guest

03-04-02, 06:50 AM   #3  
maxxie
Thank you for responding. I will use what you said as I look at printers.

03-05-02, 08:58 PM   #4  
Yeah, what big Mike said.

Another thing I ALWAYS check before buying is the widespread availablility of ink cartridage and their replacement cost. In fact, I have often been steered to the printer based on the ink cartridages review. Years ago the Epson ink supplies cost half the price of HP, yet were considered a top notch printer. Now a days, the printers are nearly the same inside.

Lugnut.

Visiting Guest

03-06-02, 07:26 AM   #5  
bigmike
Amen

Amen brother! Printer ink/cartridges can be VERY expensive!

Visiting Guest

03-06-02, 11:05 AM   #6  
arthropod98
personally, i'd go with an HP. i've got an r70, and my girlfriend's got a g85 -- the color on both is just absolutely amazing! also, no problems whatsover. also, we both got great deals at buy.com.

03-06-02, 08:06 PM   #7  
I agree with Lugnut! If I had known that I would have to go to an office supply to get ink cartridges for my printer I would have never purchased it. The color cartridges can be picked up at your local KMart or WalMart, but the black cartridges are expensive and never in stock....except for the office supply places and they are anywhere from $5 to $7 more expensive. A lot for me and my "toy".

Kay

03-11-02, 04:09 PM   #8  
I have 5 HPs Deskjets & Officejets. The game is to suck you in for a cheap price and realy get you good on the Inkjet cartridges. If you will take a look at the site I gave you it will really make a difference in your choice. Yes there are those Mickey Mouse Refill kits that they sell at the discount stores that turn you, all different colors.

This is your one stop shoping for the right tools, inks, and replacement plug tricks, that the Manufactures put on the cartridges to keep you from refilling them.

Don't make your choice on how much this or that ink cartridge costs. The only gripe I ever had with any of my HPs was the high price of the cartridges. Now that I am filling my own and saving $$$$ no more gripes. Of all the HPs I have heard of people having trouble with it's the 600 series is the worst. My personal printer is an 895cxi it's 4 years old and still going strong. Good luck on your Quest

http://www.inksupply.com/

03-11-02, 04:31 PM   #9  
I have 612C and you cannot refill the black cartridge. It will leak everywhere, and some refill companies have just now started noting that these are unfillable. Guess they wanted you to at least try once or twice (get their money) and then you realize it won't work.

I'm just having trouble with the printer right now. Will have to break into it to find out what the problem is today.

03-11-02, 05:44 PM   #10  
Hi Kaybyrd
Have you tried any of the kits from this company? I had tried all the cheap refill kits at the discount stores and almost gave up.

Then a friend of mine who has a business refilling Cartridges told me where he bought his supplies. As I said in my first post the Manufactures have put little tricks into their cartridges so you can't fill them & they make a big mess.

I think the most important thing I learned is you must use the same ink that was in the cartridge in the first place. Cannon Red, Yellow, Blue is not HPs R,Y,B. Even the black is different.

Everyone I have told and is using this guys tools & inks are quite pleased as I am. His instructions tell you the secrets that the Companies don't want you to know. As long as I can get the tools and the right ink I can do it myself and save a lot of money.

It would not surprise me if the Companies put out the bad kits just to discourage us from trying to do it ourselves. I had even tried those refilled Cartridges and the blues turned out purpleish, wrong ink for my mixing software.

http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm?s...ml/hpkits.html

03-11-02, 06:26 PM   #11  
i went to the site, and i like the idea of not having to drill a hole in the cartridge. i would have to buy a special "snap and fill" gadget, but if I can actually get 10 refills for $30 instead of cartridge, that would be great! I didn't even try to refill the color cartridge. I just purchased another one. Had to much leakage with the black one.

I use the C6614A cartridge instead of the larger one. Now i need to find out what the noise in the printer is at the moment. It is popping, but none of the recommendations at the hp site work. they recommend bringing it in for service. i have enjoyed this printer, but am having a few problems. something may have gotten down in there and just needs to be cleaned up. i do have 4 children that can do some of the wildest things to the computer and printer. i limited their time here to when i can supervise 100%. [my best friend just called to say that her daughter somehow deleted all information off her harddrive, that's exciting]. the other day when i tried to print a receipt i discovered that the reason it would move the paper forward is that for some odd reason it was trying to feed the whole stack at one time. this is some of the abuse the printer has had to endure. not sure how that happened since i moved the printer to an area under the desktop where it could (should) not be bumped, leaned into, etc. apparently, if there is a will there is a way.....

kay

Visiting Guest

03-11-02, 07:09 PM   #12  
bigmike
Ink

When I first got my Oki laser printer I almost fainted when I saw the price for toner! But after a lengthy search and several discussions with printer repair techs etc I found out each company uses a different mix of ink/toner to get their colors. My Panasonic laser printer in the living room will not use the same toner and the Oki and the HP color wonít use the same ink as the Cannon color. The HP and Cannon can both use an after market ink that a local electronics company supplies but I have to use the exact toners from Panasonic and Oki and they are around $50 for 300 print which if you think about it is not too bad. But the ink, that gets expensive! Around 30 prints per tank of ink. Not exact but fairly close. Watch out for the refills, they can actually cause damage to print heads.

03-12-02, 11:49 AM   #13  
Printer noise

Hi Kay
I bought my sister an HP 632c and it has been one problem after the other. I used to work a lot of tech sites, and it seemed that the HP 600 series was allways giving problems. I am ordering 2 Monitors next week, and I think I will just go ahead and get Sis a new 7 or 800 series HP and give the ol 632 the heave ho. I wish I could help you with your printer, but I have taken apart 2 of the 600 now for cleaning as well as my more expensive HPs. They realy did their homework on the 600s they are realy use, and throw away. I believe that HP knew that when you looked at the estimate to repair, you would choose new everytime. Marturo

Visiting Guest

03-12-02, 12:47 PM   #14  
maxxie
Thank you for the information and the website. It is helpful.

Visiting Guest

03-12-02, 12:49 PM   #15  
maxxie
Thank you to all

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments and suggestions. I feel more confident in my quest to purchase a printer.

03-12-02, 01:47 PM   #16  
You're welcome, Marturo

Search this Thread