Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Outlook-Format Hard drive

Visiting Guest

03-11-02, 12:15 PM   #1  
RobSchaef
Outlook-Format Hard drive

Last year my computer got the "BackDoor-G2.svr" virus. My Mcafee software detected it and allowed me to delete it but not clean it. From time to time I still have problems with the computer freezing up. Especially when I add new hardware or software. So I am planning to format my hard drive. I have located all of my discs to reinstall my operating system and hardware. I also plan to call the tech support and have the walk me through doing the format. So I have been trying to back up all of my files and data on CD's with my burner. I am stuck because I don't know what file holds all of my emails from Outlook. I know where to find the archived files but what about the emails I have in the inbox and folders? Also, I used Outlook express the first year I had the computer and wouldn't mind saving those either. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rob

Sponsored Links

03-11-02, 02:11 PM   #2  
Depends on the version. Either MBX or DBx filename extension. Use Find. Export them if you want to able to view them with Outlook later. But they must be imported into the new Outlook first. Simply copying them won't do.

MD

03-11-02, 02:31 PM   #3  
If it's regular outlook, it's extension is *.pst

Visiting Guest

03-11-02, 05:01 PM   #4  
bigmike
Partition, partition, partition...

Well the way I do it is to just create a folder and cut/copy/paste all the mail to it then move it to the CD. Actually I always partition the drive so I have storage for things like this. So when you format partition the drive maybe 1/2 and 1/2 then when you have to format for some reason you don’t lose the second partition information. No virus etc I have heard of infects anything more than the primary drive.

Visiting Guest

03-12-02, 05:35 AM   #5  
RobSchaef
Thanks for all the replys. It is regular Outlook. I plan to partician the hard drive when after I format it so I won't have to go through this if it ever happens agian. I will seach for the files to copy. I had hear .pst was just archived emails. Thanks for the help.
Rob

WI

03-12-02, 07:35 AM   #6  
I would go with bigmike on this one, I have never had any luck restoring emails useing export or coping the file.

Brian

MD

03-12-02, 08:01 AM   #7  
Rob,

MD

03-12-02, 08:05 AM   #8  
Lets try again.

If your emails are in folders, they are in a .pst file along with your contacts etc. Try doing a File:find for *.pst. If you have archived any mails, there should be an archive.pst file present

Visiting Guest

03-12-02, 11:30 PM   #9  
bigmike
,pst

Problem is I have had problems recovering an exported .pst file after a format. That’s why I say copy mails to a folder then burn them to CD if there is no second partition. Outlook, for some strange reason only recognizes this build. If I format my drive right now and try to import Outlook 2xxx .pst saved file from another location the file is not recognized. I am unsure if this is a problem with Outlook 97.x. hard to explain what I just experienced but typical Windoze B.S. after a few hours of Tequila and Percocets Outlook finally decided to import one of my multiple exports of the .pst file… tooth and nail fight but I finally got it to do what I wanted but still had to use my Palm 3c for the final build of the address book…

Visiting Guest

03-14-02, 04:20 PM   #10  
RobSchaef
That sounds good to me but if I am going to copy the mails to a folder. You mean copy anything in inbox to one of my folders then copy the .pst to the CD? I just want to make sure I understand you right.
Thanks,
Rob

Visiting Guest

03-14-02, 07:06 PM   #11  
bigmike
Yep

Well it won’t save as a .pst file it will save as a .vcf file by using copy/paste. The .pst file comes from using Outlooks export feature. But yes, copy/paste to my documents if you want then burn all of that to a folder u create on the CD.

Search this Thread