Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Product Recovery Program

AL

03-11-02, 08:02 PM   #1  
Product Recovery Program

HELLO GUYS,MY BROTHER CALLED ME OVER HIS HOUSE TO SEE WHAT WAS WRONG WITH HIS P.C. I CAN ASSURE YOU I'M NO WHIZ BUT I DO KNOW ENOUGH TO GET ME BY.BUT THE PROBLEM IS HE SHOWS ON-LINE BUT CANNOT GET ON INTERNET AT ALL.WHEN HE REBOOTS FOR A SECOND IT'LL SHOW;PRODUCT RECOVERY PROGRAM; AND THEN IT DISAPPEARS.WHAT IS THIS? SECOND I TRIED TO SEE IF I COULD SAVE HIS INFO WITH A RESCUE DISKS.BOY DID I GOOF UP.IT ASKED ME SOMETHING AND I HAD A CHOICE OF PRESS F1 OR F2.UH-OH.I PRESSED F2 AND WRONG CHOICE.ALL THAT SHOWS UP NOW IS [TYPE NAME OF COMMAND INTERPRETER (e.g.) c:\windows \command.com)
now what do i do.that's all that shows up now and i cannot get it off the screen at all.i need help please.thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-11-02, 10:30 PM   #2  
rrios612
What operating system do you have? Windows 95, 98, 2000, ME?

Anyway, you may need to boot with a boot disk that you should have from the manufacturer or that you made when installing the OS. When you get the A prompt, type c:<enter>. Type scandisk <enter> and see if this corrects your errors. If all else fails, you may need to re-install your OS.

Hope this helps,

Rudy

AL

03-12-02, 05:22 AM   #3  
windows 2000

ok he has windows 2000 ,as far as he knows he didn't receive no disc so if not now what? does he need a recovery disc?will this help? or what if he reformats? help......................

Visiting Guest

03-12-02, 05:56 AM   #4  
bigmike
Most likley format...

Is this a Dell or Gateway by chance? If so it came with loads of useless programs to restore, wipe your nose, clean this or that. And letís not forget the ever present advertisements tooÖ So I guess try re-installing the OS. Actually I would go buy a Windoze 2000 disk that did not come with the computer and format the drive and install Windoze again. How old is the computer? If itís over a year old then he did well, format and reload. My thing here is that I donít care for the proprietary software sold with Dell etc. too much crap loads up that is just fluff. I had heard that if you raise enough cain you can get Dell/Gateway to give you an actual OS disk that should have, by law, come with the computer if you purchased it new. They just want you to bring it in especially out of warranty to pay to have the OS rebuilt after something like this.

AL

03-12-02, 04:48 PM   #5  
THE COMPUTER IS AN I.B.M. HE GOT IT FROM PEOPLE P.C. AND IS LOADED WITH WINDOWS 2000 SOFTWARE. IT'S BOUT YEAR AND HALF YEAR OLD.

03-12-02, 05:44 PM   #6  
People PC? Guess he got what he paid for. I honestly don't mean that ugly. Heard that a lot of people got a bum rap going through them. My father always told me that if it sounds too good to be true, then it is. I about got one on buying the brand that I did.

Wish you luck. Seems like Microsoft is getting the same way, shorting you at every turn. Can't find the backup program on Windows ME, supposed to be on disk but can't find it. The recovery disk that came with the computer (EMachine) wasn't the original OS disk. We're in the process of trying to obtain the original copy, but we'll see.

Visiting Guest

03-13-02, 10:18 AM   #7  
bluecanary25
IF your brother's PC came with a recovery disk, the OS is buried in it. Many companies in the last few years have bundled the OS into the recovery image, that can't separated as a standalone package. This is why you do not get a separate copy of the OS. Yes you have a copy of 'Windows'. Can it be used on another make PC? NO.(Not completely true, but then if you knew that, this would be moot.)
The recovery CD has the OS, drivers for devices and installs the apps... 'shovelware' that you may not want, but that's the price you pay as you learn.
I recommend, if possible, backup data. Get the product ID # before you start anything- 25 digit alpha-numeric buried in registry. Put in recovery disk and reinstall. If you think you had virus, let it reformat harddrive. Then un-install apps you do not want.

IF the PC did not come with recovery CD, gets more interesting, but I running outta space here.....

My 2 cents
Bluecanary25

Visiting Guest

03-13-02, 11:00 AM   #8  
bluecanary25
PART2

No recovery CD? Do you have copy of Win2K (reason to find and copy product ID# from registry). If not, will need to buy. Else, format drive and install other OS.

Has brother contacted People PC to find if can get recovery CD?
May cost few bucks, but cheaper than buying stand alone OS.

Up to 4 cents, now.

Bluecanary25

AL

03-13-02, 01:15 PM   #9  
just wanted to say thanks to all you guys out there that thru in yall's advice and recommendations.i'm gonna use all of them if i have to one by one.i'll post my outcome after we have the system up and running again.thanks again guys.

Visiting Guest

05-26-02, 11:31 AM   #10  
mightymike
RE; Product Recovery Program.

When the pc tells you to type the command interpreter it is telling you it can not find it. You need to remove the case from the pc then look at your hard drive, there should be a number on it, Once you find this number you need to boot your computer and enter "startup" Which will be your cmos, You then need to look for your start settings, The first line should say "Harddrive Type"
You need to make sure the number in the box to the right of this
line is the same as the one on your harddrive, Change the number to the proper one then reboot the pc, this should solve the problem of the command interpreter......Good Luck!!!!...

Search this Thread