E-Mail Attachments??

Old 03-12-02, 01:29 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
E-Mail Attachments??

Once in a while I get E-Mail attachments. I cannot open them. Screen comes up stating"File has no Prog. Associated with it for performing this action" I looked in my computer, and view but I dont exactly understand what all I need to know about it.

Old 03-12-02, 02:54 PM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
It is a message indicating your PC does not have the correct software to open/view the attachment.

Example: If somebody sents a *.pdf attachment and you do not have Adobe Acrobat, you will not be able to open/read/view its contents.

Many email programs will allow you to 'see' the file extension of the attachment; *.doc, *.dot, *.xls.... These extensions give a clue as to the type of program they may be associated with. Many free/shareware/evaluation viewers are available on the 'Net.
Also, sometimes by right-clicking on the attachment, one can select 'Quickview' and read the text within.

Bluecanary25

Old 03-12-02, 02:56 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Every file has an associated file extension and needs a specific program to open it, so if someone is sending you a file that you do not have the appropriate program to open it with you cannot view it. example:mp3 is a music file and must be opened with Windows Media player or some other music player.

You wouldn't open a mp3 file with microsoft word.

If you save the attachment to your hard disk you should be able to look at it(properties) and find the appropriate program to open it with..

Hope this helps

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: