Disconnected from internet when call comes in

Old 03-13-02, 02:45 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
Disconnected from internet when call comes in

Hi I get disconnected whenever anyone calls. I don't disable callwaiting because i have a call waiting caller id and it tells me who is calling without disconnecting from the internet. A tech came out the other day to fix my caller id and ever since then i get disconnected whenever anyone calls. Does anyone know what i need to do? i already tried talking to a phone tech but no help. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-02, 09:47 PM
I've never heard of a caller id system that wouldn't disconnect you from the internet. What type system is it? I would like to check that out. The only way I've ever been able to not have that happen is with dsl since it filters the data calls from the voice calls. Not sure how it worked, but it did. Unfortunately now I have a cable connection since dsl isn't offered in this area. Would be nice not to have to pay these kind of prices and get back on to a landline connection without having to sacrifice calls during online time.

Hopefully someone on this forum can help you. I'm sure they can, seem to have some pretty smart people out there.

Kay

Old 03-14-02, 04:05 AM
Rmen13,
From what I understand, you need to disconnect call-waiting in your dial up process, with or w/o caller id.

Kay - can't imagine you would want to go back to a landline connection. At 34.95 I tried to get dsl here. I could have saved a few dollars, since I pay for AOHell and a second phone line!
Unforyunately, I'm just outside the dsl radius.
fred

Old 03-14-02, 05:50 AM
This is my first post outside the garden forum....

My modem senses the incoming call, flashes the info on caller ID, but still keeps my internet connection up. Its one of those generic COMPUSA models. Cant remember the exact name though.

Eric

Old 03-14-02, 06:09 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Call waiting

You will still have to disable the call waiting feature on dialup. You should still see your caller ID call waiting feature but you will not be able to use the line while the computer is online. The modem only sees that there is a ring tone and shuts off.

Old 03-14-02, 06:26 AM
As Info:

I did see a neat feature last fall while trying to call a customer.
I believe it was called Call Wave, incoming calls are recorded on the net answering service, then before you logout, you check your voice mail messages.
fred

Old 03-14-02, 09:41 AM
Fred I have seen something like that on a friends mother's computer. You know, the friend of a friend of a friend, deal. It worked really well. You even listen to the caller's message if you choose not to answer at that point, and if the message is urgent, you can still pick up. I guess it's the equivelant of the new Privacy Director on my phone service.
I guess I will stick with my cable connection since I have 2 teenage girls, and the phone rings off the hook constantly, and the call waiting is usually in use as well. Then there are the 3-way calls......DSL was wonderful for me at the time, but so new in the area that I was in that it would go down a lot. Haven't had as many problems with cable connect as people predicted that I would. If you can get DSL in the area, it was the least expensive of the two (cable vs DSL) since I had DSL through the phone company. I received a discount for having both my phone service and internet connection through them.

Rmen13 you may want to check into the different services available to you in your area. None are failsafe, but there is nothing more inconvenient that not being able to browse the internet and talking on the telephone at the same time. I prefer to budge the extra money for the expense because the frustration level is lower and that is worth it to me.

Kay

Old 03-14-02, 10:44 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Options

There are only a few ways to use the net and the phone at the same time, DSL, separate phone line, cable modem, wireless modem, satellite connection IE: Echostar etc., disable call waiting and forward your phone to your cell phone, Net meeting will allow a phone connection for a fee thru certain services. Used to be free but no longer. You cannot talk and surf on a common line with existing dialup connection technology. There are as mentioned, people that will allow you to forward your phone to their service and will record a message and notify you via email or a popup or you check the service before you get offline. If you are getting a call and your caller ID shows that call and it doesn’t boot you then for some reason the modem is not sensing the ring voltage. No biggie, won’t hurt a thing, it may take two rings etc. The “Call Waiting Caller ID” was not meant for use with a modem, just a phone. I have that feature here now, retired Bell Employee’s get all the goodies available for free so get to test this stuff out first hand.

Old 03-14-02, 11:49 AM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
I never disabled call waiting and it worked just fine, for example when i was online and someone tried to call me it would beep and then my caller id would flash and display who is calling me without disconnecting me. But the other day a tech came to fix my caller id because it wasn't working and he did something to the box outside and when he left i got online and someone tried to call me and it disconnected me. And the phone company doesn't know what the problem is, they say to disable call waiting but then i will not be able to use my call waiting caller id.

Old 03-14-02, 12:43 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Oh brother

One of those cases of should have left it alone? I have no idea how that was working; there is nothing in the box on the house that controls caller ID. There may have been a loose connection or such but that still wouldn't allow what you describe other than it was a fluke. Caller ID, forwarding etc is all controlled from the central switch/computer at Bell etc. It's interesting that it happened though but I will ask a buddy of mine at Bell and see what he has to say about it...

Old 03-15-02, 08:33 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
i just recently switched my phone company to Cavalier (a local telco) because it is cheaper than Verizon, and their call waiting beep is like two beeps instead of just one beep with verizon and i think this is the problem. Its to long of a beep that it makes the internet disconnect. Is there a way that they can reduce the length of the beep or something? Thanks for the help

Old 03-15-02, 09:25 PM
Verizon? Isn't that a cellular company or do they offer land line service too?

Kay

Old 03-15-02, 09:35 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
Verizon is a monopoly telco company they other residential, business, and cellular service

Old 03-15-02, 10:11 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool And the answer is...

Well I never asked and you never said what phone company you were with. I assumed that you were with Ma Bell. But there is your answer; you were part of Ma Bell and now you not. So the software is different and your line acts differently even to the point of the tone being different. Can’t see the tree’s for the forest I’m going to change my name to that

Old 03-16-02, 07:02 AM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
but it was working just fine when i switched my phone company untill the tech came and did something