Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Why do my icons change?

Visiting Guest

03-13-02, 03:58 PM   #1  
twinkie
Why do my icons change?

Just curious as to why my icons change on my desktop after I save a shortcut to my desktop? It stays on there while I am online; but when I shut down; the next day when I boot up the icon has changed over to the explorer e icon?? Why does the icon that is saved with the shortcut changed?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!! THANKS!!

Sponsored Links

03-13-02, 10:19 PM   #2  
Are you saving a website link? If so, then it is the association of a web url that makes it go to the Explorer page icon. Just like all .doc links show that cute little piece of paper with the windows icon on it, etc. Not sure how to change that.

Kay

03-13-02, 10:33 PM   #3  
Changing Icons

Right click your Icon, and you will see properties at the bottom left click, and click change Icon. MS gives you some realy dumb Icons in their .ico files. Or you can do a search on free icons and make your own file.

Beware (TNFL) theres no free lunch. much of what is free is spyware. Do a search on spyware removal programs, some like AdAware & Spy Blocker are free and very good.

Visiting Guest

03-14-02, 03:32 AM   #4  
mikejmerritt
There is only one way to keep the favicons that are set with a favorite and that is to return to the site/link and reset it. The favicon is stored in the TIF and depending on how many you choose to keep and for how long will determine when the icon reverts to IE. No matter how many you TIF's are stored the favicon info will get pushed off of the end at some point...Mike

03-14-02, 12:02 PM   #5  
Icons

Hi Mike
Could you be a little more specific on that. I have noticed that at some point all my homemade Icons revert back. So how do we change them for good in favorites? I have noticed that If I just click save shortcut from the page I am on, the desktop Icons come through sometimes with a nice Icon. Thanks, Marturo

03-14-02, 02:20 PM   #6  
I use an icon editor to copy and save it to a separate file. If they are .gif or .jpg it will convert them to .ico. Some are simply labeled .ico and those I just copy and paste into my icon folder. If you like a pic online or elsewhere that you want to convert to an icon, then an icon editor can help you with that too.

How to grab the ones that are on the links, now that one I don't know. I do have a prog called IconSucker. That one may be able to pull them off the links. Then you can save it that way. Will have to check it out.

Kay

03-14-02, 02:51 PM   #7  
Icon prog

Hi Kay
Where did you get Icon Sucker?

03-14-02, 05:55 PM   #8  
I download everything from www.download.com
It's CNET. I don't know where to get progs other than there.

The only thing about icon sucker is that it doesn't search/find the icons. You have to click on every directory, then subdirectory and it will show you the icons imbedded in the files or icon files themselves. Little tedious, but fun. I also got one called: Icon Editor (file: ie701max.exe)

I think they're both shareware, just got them a few days ago. Been a lot of fun goofing around with it and either changing icons or creating new ones. Kids like having personalized stuff for their files. I thought it might help to keep them away from mine.

Kay

Search this Thread