laptop-file problems, will not boot

Old 03-17-02, 07:49 AM
laptop-file problems, will not boot

A friend has a ~4-5 Y.O. notebook with Win95 that was purchased for $100 from a corperation that was gettin grid of all of their old computers. The problem is, the system has had some problems getting started, once he fixed it, his brother moved a bunch of files to the trash bin from C:\ , I say maybe from the Windows folder. He thinks they were CHK files. When powered up, the machine says there is not a valid startup disk (I beleive?).
The catch to the whole situation is there is no recovery disc, no Windows disc, nothing came with it.
What would you do? I would have to get the notebook from him to give more details, I am telling all of this from memory when I talked to him on Friday. I would normally start over from scratch with the H.D., but without anything to reinstall all of this, that is not an instant option.

gj

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-02, 08:58 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool OS?

Well I would reinstall the OS. Go to Wal-Mart and buy 95 if you can find it. Try a computer store; they may have on old copy lying around. He must have deleted something important because the boot section of the drive is missing something. No big deal, any time you get a new computer like this you should format and start over. Could have a virus on it or the OS could have been on there for years and is not stable. Trust me, format the drive and re-install. Try to find out what CPU and memory is in it, you may be able to out 98.x on it.

Old 03-17-02, 09:08 AM
how much would Win 95 cost? I'm sure he won't want to spend much on this old machine. I agree, i told him about completely starting fresh, with Win 98SE. Do it once, do it right.
gj

Old 03-17-02, 02:27 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
CPU?

First off you need to determine what CPU and available memory is in the unit. 95 should not be more the $30 or $40 used, check the computer shop around your town. 98.x shouldn’t be more the about $75 but a “Clean” install is definitely warranted here.