creating second partition

Old 03-17-02, 09:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
creating second partition

Win 95 machine, has a 2.4 GB HD, it has one partition (C) already-(FAT16, (1.99 GB))
I want to create another partition with the remaining 346 MB.
The machine used to have it, before I reformatted the hard drive two months ago. I forgot to create a second one, The main part is just about full, I need that extra space to fit Netscape 4.79 on.

Can I create another partiion by using FDISK, and the system will automatically recognize it, or does this mean a complete OS reinstall? I hope not the latter, It took long enough to do this slow machine once, two months ago. Even worse, our other computer is not stable right now, and I don't have time to fix its significant problems, it needs a complete redo-system tools don't wok (winME). This is the reason for installing netscape on the old computer for email purposes.

gj

Old 03-17-02, 04:39 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Complete os re-install

The "Missing" 348 megs is the Windoze OS and swap file. It cannot be used by anything else. And yes you will have to format to do what you want. I would do a 75%/25% split. I would also go to Win98 and FAT32.

Old 03-18-02, 01:47 PM
huh?

how is the missing 346MB windows?
This never used to be the case.
Say I start over from scratch, (I am not moving away from Win95 yet-I wish I could) what should I do when setting up the hard drive? I want to use the full 2.4GB.
Tell me about the part with creating the partitions etc.
Right now, Win95 is installed in the first partion (C), which is the only usable space for anything at the moment.
I recall there is a questions about the type or use of the partition
(Primary/secondary-three choices right?) Does Win95 support anything other than FAT16? this is the second version of Win95.

gj

Old 03-18-02, 04:17 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Always

Yea it was you just never caught it. But it's the swap file, recycle bin, OS etc. 98 etc is even larger, not by much though. Do a forum search for partitioning, this is lengthy and has been explained a few times. And I am just being lazy Helping a friend out with her rent a cop buisness. Not used to setting up all nite. Gettin old I guess...

Last edited by bigmike; 03-21-02 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-18-02, 08:04 PM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
Talking

Just wanted to add...
If you are quoting the PC manufacturer that it's a 2.4 GB drive; gotta factor the advertisers count 10^9(Billion) as 'GB'. Actually is 1024^3 (1073741824) is GB. Leave it up to you to re-calulate a more accurate drive capacity...........(BTW- using base 10, don't want to be really weird)

SO:
a) you lose some space because advertisers don't really tell about drive capacity.
b) when you format a drive some 'overhead' space is used to record drive parameters and inefficiencies in FAT16....... you lose some more space. Fun ain't it?
FYI: That 1.44MB floppy actually has 2MB capacity BEFORE formatting, yet only holds 1.38MB after formatting but is STILL called 1.44MB. Oh yeah, it uses FAT12........ if my memory still functions ....

can I go to bed yet,,,,?

Bluecanary25

Old 03-20-02, 08:46 PM
The "Missing" 348 megs is the Windoze OS and swap file. It cannot be used by anything else. And yes you will have to format to do what you want. I would do a 75%/25% split. I would also go to Win98 and FAT32.

Sorry, wrong - ALL of Windows, swapfile, recycle bin , ALL OF IT! is contained in the primary partition, (at least unless you deliberately put the swap file in another partition) in this case the 1.99Gb partition. The remaining (approx) 400Mb is still available. Just run fdisk and create an extended DOS partition. reboot, then format D: drive, reboot, and there you have your D: drive.

Sorry to bag the moderator, but he just aint right!

Old 03-27-02, 11:07 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Partition

No partner I am not wrong, the rest of the drive is floating in lala land because of the Fat16 partition. Also there is no way to partition without first destroying the primary partition then build the second or extended partition. GreenJacket you need to Fat32 the drive and fdisk to build the secondary partition, there is no other way. Get 98 and load it up and you will be OK. Sorry for the misleading information provided by our Ausie friend but I do not post unless I know I’m giving proper information. I will strive in the future to be more nomenclature exact. Mike…

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: