help cd-rw install

Old 03-17-02, 04:09 PM
help cd-rw install

hello,
here is a long story,
i purchased a internal cd-rw made by hival, i tried to install it myself, i am pretty good at following instructions, so i thought, ok i have the cd all in. and ran the interface cable from the hard drive to the cd-rw. power plug i used was from my cd-dvd rom and also hanging off was a 2 prong plugin. i plugged that into the digital audio output from the cd-rw.. turned the pc on and that wire melted big time.. shut it off asap.. i did disconnect all of the wires to the new cd-rw.. and i am now back to the original pc.. everything works fine.. so i hooked the interface up again .turned the pc on. and it would not boot.. said i need to run the boot disc. which i do not have. what next .. i did take my original cd-dvd and jumped it to be the slave drive and the new cd-rw the master.. i did get an audio cable with it. but with this celron processor i do not see anywhere to hook up the audio..
if this makes any sence.. or if you need more info please let me know... where i bought the cd-rw from comp usa, they would have installed it for free, but i guess i could use some learning expierence myself, gee here we go again.
thanks for any input

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-02, 07:42 PM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
Melted wire? Never a good sign.

From your description of a power cord, with a two-prong connection hanging off it, that you plugged into the digital audio ----
the device may be 'SMOKED'!!

If you will remove your 'new' CD-RW drive and sniff the airflow vents, does it have a 'burnt' aroma to it???? If yes, the CD-RW is your newest paperweight!! Not covered under warranty! (If you go by the book.......I leave it for someone else to hint at other options.)

I hope you can get a replacement soon. It appears you ran DC power directly thru the digital audio interface (volts vs. milli-volts).

Bluecanary25

Old 03-18-02, 02:55 AM
thanks

kind of thought so. i did hook up the interface from the hard drive. the extra connector on the hard drive interface cable like the manual says, my system will not boot, on the front panel of the cd-rw the lights are on. is that a good sign? still will not boot.
stupid mistake on my part. i do not think the cd-rw is smoked.
should i just unplug my cd-dvd that is already installed, it is in my 2nd IDE slot, And hook the new -cd-rw directly to the IDE slot instead of jumping off the hard drive and see if it works that way.
if it is fried i guess thats it then.
Thanks

Old 03-18-02, 11:44 AM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
Kappy,

Now comes fun and games. This is why techs gotta charge so much when someone says "My computer won't work." Track problem down to lowest components.

Will the PC boot at all? Testing just the HDD. Dis-connect IDE cables from DVD and CD-RW, only have the harddrive connected. From your first message, did not say on same cable as HDD..... possible additional problems. If does not boot, may have burned more than CD-RW............

If the PC does boot completely into OS, then power off and connect the DVD drive and try booting. If boots ok, looks promising.

If everything is OK, try CD-RW in place of DVD, check your jumpers. Don't even worry about audio yet. If, with DVD, PC boots and with CD-RW does not, board is burnt on CD-RW....... REPLACE it. At this point we have isolated problem to CD-RW.

Flashing lights only mean got power and disk can spin.

Gotta go back to work now........ drop a line soon.

Bluecanary25

Old 03-18-02, 03:12 PM
hey blue good news

i did get the thing hooked up right this time, but when windows started. it did not detect new hardware, but it does show up ok.. i did put a music cd in and it plays with sound.. good sign...
here comes the but part.. i installed the nero software,, and put in a cdr disc, it keeps saying put disc in drive,, but there is one and its not seeing it.. i even tried a different one same thing.. do you think the cdr is ok because i can play a music cd..
or do i have to read up on the software part. i did ask support at hival see what they say.. thanks for the help keep you posted
kappy

Old 03-18-02, 07:25 PM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
Kappy,

It is VERY GOOD your PC started, was afraid excess electricity had gone to HDD. Do you have several disks recorded on PC? Be best if different type disks. Test if new drive can read (not blank disk, one you know has music and/or data). If CD-RW can't read, maybe you can ask to have it RMA'ed back to Hi-Val. Hope you got a reference number when you called tech support.....

Bluecanary25

Old 03-19-02, 02:32 PM
A OK

everything is ok blue yeah!!!!!
thanks for all the help.. anymore computor problems i know who to go to.. It ended up just s fried wire for a fan or something.. i did get the burner working fine.. the wife is all excited..
thanks again.
Kappy

Old 03-20-02, 05:44 AM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Great!!! Glad it worked out.

I gets rucky sometimes......... (Yes the 'R' is intentional- lol, fits my eyes).

Bluecanary25