recommendations for pentium III motherboard

Old 03-19-02, 10:27 AM
william kossack
Visiting Guest
Question recommendations for pentium III motherboard

I'm upgrading an HP computer with a pentium-II processor for a friend.

I'm looking for a good motherboard to put into the system but I want to keep the price down (keeping the processor under 1Ghz to keep the price down).

I'm actually looking for a mboard, processor, RAM bundle but don't have the time to research prices and performance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-02, 12:01 PM
BSB
Is a question for ya....Is the old board AT or ATX? 90% of new boards are now ATX and need an ATX case and PS.

ATX board , decent price. http://www.partspc.com/store/product545.html

or you can go to www.pricewatch.com and search motherboard combos, will need to order mem sep.

Personaly I would stay away from Amptron. Your better boards are ASUS, ABIT, IWILL, TYAN and SOYO-TECH. (or so I have heard.) you may also want to check out:

www.tomshardwareguide.com and
www.anandtech.com

Both have pretty good write up on mother boards.

Brian

Old 03-19-02, 12:05 PM
william kossack
Visiting Guest
its an ATX

the old system has an ATX case

I upgraded an old AT system to an 800Mhz celeron back in August but that was after months of searching to find a socket 370 mboard that was form factor AT.

When I looked out it appeared that many of the mailorder places had changed.

I'm doing this for a friend so I don't want to take months to research the replacement mboard

Old 03-19-02, 12:13 PM
william kossack
Visiting Guest
any vendor to stay away from

It has been some time since I visited pricewatch and it looks like the list of vendors has changed completely.

Are there any to stay away from?

To build the system I'm going to have the friend buy the parts after I find and recommend what to buy. This avoids him having to refund my money.

I've used PC-chips mboards (I have a couple running in the house right now that have been going for a couple years). However, because of the quirks I would not build one for a friend because they can be a real pain to configure

Old 03-19-02, 12:22 PM
BSB
Fortunatly I have not had any bad luck with any vendors on pricewatch. but I tend to stay away from the higher S/H ones.

brian

Old 03-19-02, 02:45 PM
If you are trying to replace mother the MB and the CPU it will be more costs beneficial to you to go the AMD route, you can get a decent MB and 1GHz Athlon for less then $200. You can even add 128Mb of RAM and still stay under that price. I say most MB are fine today, the main difference will be support. Some of the "cheaper" versions only offer email support, or a toll call support. I've used both "cheap" and "expensive" brands, and didn't have any problems with either. Just make sure that the place where you buy the combo has a good return policy, and is decently large. Most defective MBs are either DOD, or will die very quickly (days), so it's important to be able to exchange it very easily, and without any hassle.

Search this Thread