Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

openme.exe

03-20-02, 10:00 AM   #1  
openme.exe

everytime we start up our computer a message comes up saying cannot find the file openme.exe of one of its components.
the message goes away after clicking ok .. also when i am on the internet and want to go to my explorer thru the start menu i get an error saying it will close or shut down and i have to reset my computer for the error to go away .
i am running an amd900 with windows 98se and i am on hi speed internet.
thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-20-02, 10:58 AM   #2  
bluecanary25
Alan,

Sounds like you been infected.....................
Do you have;
a) Antivirus software- get latest signatures and scan entire HDD
b) Firewall- get one, please

Bluecanary25 sneaking this during lunch

Visiting Guest

03-20-02, 12:15 PM   #3  
bigmike
Tracker

This could be one of those tracking scenarios. Sometimes when you install a program it will drop a program to contact the manufacturer when you use their software. That is not a recognized program of Windoze that I have ever seen or heard of. Do a file search for it and delete all instances of the program. Also do an “Msconfig” from <start> <run> <msconfig> [no <>] and look in the startup folder and stop this program from running. But do the virus scan too!

Visiting Guest

03-27-02, 10:38 AM   #4  
gavin_m_y2k
the way to get rid of the message is to first go into msconfig through run and type msconfig, the hit the tab that says system.ini. down the bottom of the screen there is a button that says search, click it and in the box that comes up type openme.exe. it will then open a drop down folder and there should be a box with something like Shell=Explorer.exe openme.exe uncheck the box hit apply then ok restart ur computer and u shouldnt have the problem. i only found this out because i 2 had that message come up on my computer.

Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 12:43 AM   #5  
generalhg
openme.exe

I have the same problem on windows xp but with a twist. I cannot get rid of the pop up when i log on even when i turned off the program in my msconfigs's start up menu. Any advice?

Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 05:58 AM   #6  
bigmike
Search

You didn’t turn it off. Check whatever that was to be sure it’s not something windoze needs. Then go into search and search for the popup exe and delete it. It has to stop if you delete it. What’s the popup say by the way?

Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 07:45 AM   #7  
Manfmlox
openme.exe

I too have the openme.exe problem on XP. I swear it acts like some type of trojan or indexer. I quarinteened the two files involved with no ill effects on my system except for the pop-up window whenever I logon. I cannot find any link to the file in my startup folders or msconfig. Where could it be???

Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 08:03 AM   #8  
Manfmlox
openme.exe 2

Ok, I found the cause of the pop-up. Run REGEDIT and go to the EDIT tab and do a search for openme.exe. It comes up on a shell key for explorer.exe. Simply modify the key by deleting the openme.exe and everything works fine.
I also noted from another website that this file is listed as a type of SPYWARE, but I've yet to figure out where it came from.

04-06-02, 08:29 AM   #9  
Spyware

If the problem is spyware, get the free program Ad-aware from Lavasoft. It will detect and remove all spyware.

Nashcat

Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 09:10 AM   #10  
jayalien
I had the same trojan running in my Win2000. I didn't know that this was a virus, but finally, i deleted it and also the key updated in registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon : Shell =explorer.exe openme.exe)

I guess this is a spy.
It has been intercepted by anti virus software PC Cillin.

Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 09:38 AM   #11  
Nashville_Guy
Could be an autodialer program

I did some poking around, and found mention of a similar problem on a German message board. It appears to be the exact same file you are having problem with.

One of the posters mentioned an autodialer, which is essentially a small .exe file that downloads to your pc and uses DUN to connect to various sites on the internet.

I will do some more looking, but I did find an interesting link to a web page that offers adult web site owners money for placing a similar type file on their site. It is then downloaded to the site viewers PC. It may be of some interest:

Adult Autodialer Affiliate

These dialers can be used for other pusposes, of course, but this would seem to be a major use. If anyone else can corroborate (or debunk) this, I would appreciate some info on it!

Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 12:42 PM   #12  
generalhg
Re: openme.exe 2

Originally posted by Manfmlox
Ok, I found the cause of the pop-up. Run REGEDIT and go to the EDIT tab and do a search for openme.exe. It comes up on a shell key for explorer.exe. Simply modify the key by deleting the openme.exe and everything works fine.
I also noted from another website that this file is listed as a type of SPYWARE, but I've yet to figure out where it came from.
This works, Thank you you are the computer GOD!!!!!!
(no offence to the real God.)

REMEBER, there are at least three enteries so search until you get them all.

Last edited by generalhg; 04-06-02 at 01:00 PM.

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 07:24 PM   #13  
billabong
None of these suggestions work

I dont understand why but ive tried everything and it just wont go away. If you know anything else i can try it would be much appreciated. thanks

Visiting Guest

04-07-02, 09:10 PM   #14  
ammauer
The regedit fix worked for me, thanks
one thing i will mention though is that there were 4 occurances of the openme.exe in the registry. make sure you get all of them.

Visiting Guest

04-11-02, 08:45 PM   #15  
Vennnon
I have a problem with openme, it keeps locking up my window that is currently open.

Visiting Guest

04-11-02, 09:59 PM   #16  
budsrus0
openme.exe.

have the same problem i deleted the openme now when i restart the comp i get also the cannot find openme.exe. i tried the regedit thing as suggested but it doesnt find any thing in less iam doing it wrong and i still get that when comp starts now what help !!!!!!!!!!

Visiting Guest

04-15-02, 09:51 AM   #17  
johnny utah
Openme.exe

Originally posted by gavin_m_y2k
the way to get rid of the message is to first go into msconfig through run and type msconfig, the hit the tab that says system.ini. down the bottom of the screen there is a button that says search, click it and in the box that comes up type openme.exe. it will then open a drop down folder and there should be a box with something like Shell=Explorer.exe openme.exe uncheck the box hit apply then ok restart ur computer and u shouldnt have the problem. i only found this out because i 2 had that message come up on my computer.
My thanks to Gavin for posting this message - the only question I have is what program dropped this into my "System.ini"?

I have a feeling that it was Bearshare or Limewire 2.3.4 - can anyone offer some insight?

Johnny

Visiting Guest

04-15-02, 10:24 AM   #18  
djay
openme.exe

thanks Gavin

Search this Thread