XP compatability again

Old 03-22-02, 02:42 PM
XP compatability again

Well I seem to have rounded out my computer since my XP upgrade except for the printer. It did print o.k. when we first upgraded but now it has refused to print at all. I even traded in my old HP 610 for a refurbished one but no difference. Hp has directed me to Compaq which sent me to Microsoft which seems to be impossible to reach.(Ever hear of a merry-go round?). I did find some useful info on Microsoft's newsgroups site though. One fix in particular that interested me was to change my parallel port settings in BIOS. ONly problem is I'm not sure how to access it. I'm guessing its during startup-pressing F-10. Is this correct? Or does anyone out there have any ideas on this printing problem? I'm considering buying a new printer but I hate to with a brand new one setting there staring me in the face.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-02, 04:20 PM
The usual suspects
F1
F2
Del
Esc
What brand is your computer and on the very first screen you should see the bios maker. If all you see is a computer makers logo try the Tab key or the ESC key to see the real boot up screens.

Old 03-22-02, 06:46 PM
bluecanary25
Visiting Guest
toni1595,
Sounds like you place land-line to HP.... waste of time (unless you have a direct number). Should try lookin in manufacture's website. Gotta dig a bit, but tons of info freely available! Took 4 clicks to get this:

HP Deskjet Printers - How to Install your Printer with the Driver Included in Windows XP

or try:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindex...0481_swen.html

This is where I found info about HP 610c printer and Windows XP.

Most manufacturers have websites to allow consumers ability to update their drivers.

Oh yeah. Would be helpful to know manufacturer of PC to get into BIOS. Compaq frequently used F10, IBM and HP used F1. During POST, often will see notation 'Press Xxx for SETUP'; so press Xxxx..... lol.
BTW-- IF you press 'Pause' key during POST, it will pause.... duh you say, try seeing if it works after the OS loads....

Bluecanary25
Bluecanary25

Old 03-23-02, 11:49 AM
Blue Canary, I've already been through all that and it didn't help..... I've been working on this off and on for about 3 weeks. This is a Compaq 5835 computer. If this change in the BIOS don't help I'll have to wait until HP comes out with an update or a patch I guess. If you could have seen the website I was looking at the other day you would not have believed it. It isn't just HP printers, there are problems in Epsom, Lexmark, Canon, etc. I feel that Microsoft should step up to the plate and give us a hand with some of these software issues....just my 2 cents worth I guess.

Old 03-23-02, 12:55 PM
It is rather hard to know who to blame. It is a conspiracy where everyone gets to blame the other. Microsoft comes out with a new OS and everyone delays righting drivers for their old equipment hoping you'll buy new. At the same time, they won't right drivers for the old OS for their new equipment forcing you to buy the new OS and then... The expression has kind of gone out of style but it used to be called the Win-Tel alliance where MS would develop software which required bigger Intel chips and Intel developed new chips that could only be supported by new Microsoft software. Basically, as bad of shape as HP and Compaq are in now they have no incentive to spend money writing drivers for equipment you already bought. They want you to buy new hardware to go with your new Operating system. Microsoft, also has no financial incentive to do anything about it since the more new computers are sold the more copies of Microsoft products they sell. Unfortunetly for us there are not many others ways to go.

Old 03-23-02, 05:46 PM
Nashville_Guy
Visiting Guest
Toni, Compaq computers access BIOS by pressing F10, just after the computer is turned on. Generally, you will see a large, block type cursor blinking in the upper right hand corner of the screen. When you see this, press F10 and you will get into set-up.

I am guessing that they recommend you ensure that the setting is set to bi-directional, and not ECP or something else. Hope it works for you!

Old 03-23-02, 06:02 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Tap dance.

You may have to tap the F10 key in one second rhythms to get in. tap count 1 second, tap count 1 sec… a few times for it to hit. Not always but have seen this more than once and less than a hundred times.

Old 03-24-02, 06:47 AM
Well I made it in yesterday and selected change defaults and exit and thats just what it did. I guess I skipped past the change part of it too quickly?????? Does anyone know which one of those items to select to make a change such as this? I'm a little worried about changing anything because it may screw my computer up beyond repair.(As has happened before when running Windows 98 and we had to reformat which cleans everything out of your hard drive)!!!! I've also got a Lexmark printer which I had given to me less ink cartridges,parallel cable, and power cord. I've already spent almost $100 so far and I still don't have a power adapter. There is some question as to whether this printer will work either because I've seen compatability problems on Microsoft's website
on this printer as well..... What change is recommended is to change the parallel port from ECP to EPP or vice-versa depending on your settings.??????? Make sense???

Old 03-24-02, 07:46 AM
Nashville_Guy
Visiting Guest
Toni, once you get in to "F10 Setup", there should be a number of options you can select. You can navigate through these choices by using the left, right, up and down cursor keys.

When you find the settings dealing with your parallel or printer port, write down what the setting is currently. If it is set for ECP, your might try setting it to bi-directional (again, this is done with the cursor keys).

When you have made your change, press the F10 key. It should then prompt you to "Save Changes & Exit". Do this, and the computer will re-boot.

If the changes do not seem to have affected the problem, go back into F10 Setup, back to your printer port, and change it to the next possible selection. Save your changes, reboot again, and check to see if the problem is resolved.

Old 03-24-02, 10:24 AM
Thumbs down

UPDATE: I've successfully accessed my BIOS and tried all of the different settings for the parallel port and unhappily reporting that none of them worked properly... Although on a positive note the printer did start to go like it used to when I was running Windows 98, when I tried the ECP setting. There are 4 different settings-ECP,EPP,Compatible, and Bi-directional which is what it was in when I started. Anyone got a copy of Windows 98 kicking around,LOL......

Old 03-24-02, 10:38 AM
Nashville_Guy
Visiting Guest
Toni, the following link: HP Drivers has instructions for Windows XP and the HP Deskjet 610 installation. If you haven't already checked this out, you might give it a shot.

Also, make sure that the printer cable length doesn't exceed 12', that you can do a self test from the printer, etc.

Ain't XP great?

Old 03-24-02, 10:58 AM
Been there done that Nashville Guy. I've been all through HP's site and to no avail. As far as a self-test, the printer will not even do that. I've already put an e-mail into HP about this and I'll wait and see. Bear in mind this is a replacement for the old printer which cost me $40. MOney I should have put towards a new printer I guess... My printer cord is about 6 feet long. Yes XP is great for the people that have a totally new operating system to work with, for the rest of us, oh well.......

Old 03-24-02, 11:10 AM
Nashville_Guy
Visiting Guest
Toni, short of making sure that the printer is not set to "Use Off Line" (if you have a home network and the printer is shared) I will have to do some looking. Let me know if you run across the fix!

Old 03-24-02, 05:58 PM
Simple test

You could try a simple DOS printing test.

Open a DOS window, then type "type c:\autoexec.bat > lpt1:"

Type it exact, except for the quotes. I use autoexec.bat, but any *.txt or *.bat file will do.

If this prints, you know all your connections, cables and printer are ok. The problem then must be the device driver.

Old 03-24-02, 07:27 PM
Nashville_Guy
Visiting Guest
ejones, darned good suggestion!

Old 03-25-02, 01:43 PM
I've just received an e-mail from HP that says to unplug your computer from the printer and press the resume button to do a self-test. Well guess what, it failed... So its back to the phone with a tech. I guess to try a troubleshoot session. It looks to me like I'll may be getting another printer from HP because this one is sounding just like the last one did, and thankfully they gave me a 90 day warranty. Is it possible to use DOS commands in XP? Its my understanding that there isn't any DOS in this O.S.? Anyway the printer is supposed to do a print all by itself without the computer hooked up....but it didn't.
Are we having fun yet???????

Old 03-25-02, 03:06 PM
DOS Commands

Yes, DOS commands will work fine IF you boot from a Win 95/98 diskette. Just have some sort of text or batch file on the diskette to do the test print.

EG Copy (eg) any README text file from your hard disk to a bootable floppy. Then boot from the floppy. At the A:/ prompt, type "type README.TXT (or whatever) > lpt1:" Don't forget the ">", this redirects the output of the "copy" command from the screen to the parallel port.

If your connections and the printer and the parallel port are ok, this will DEFINITELY print. Go from there.

Old 03-30-02, 06:03 AM
Update: Called HP and got through to a tech. I think we've determined where the problem is. At about the same time as I upgraded to Windows XP I also replaced the black ink cartridge. Apparently the printer is rejecting the cartridge. Turns out the cartridge has a warranty on it and HP will be replacing it. I should know within the next week or so if that indeed will do it, but it is a reasonable assumption.I guess I jumped to conclusions a little too quick on XP, you know what they say about assume, it makes an "ASS out of U and ME". Anyway I'll post back on this when I get the replacement cartridge and let everyone who tried to help the results.

Old 04-06-02, 06:15 AM
IT WORKS!!!!!!!! I finally received a new black cartridge and with much anticipation I installed it and lo and behold it did not work! Instead of calling tech. support I thought I'd try some thing else. I had another color cartridge in my desk so I put it in and VIOLA! it took right off. How ironic, I had the fix right in my desk all along!
Chalk it up to experience I guess......For all those who tried to help Thanx, To everyone else Happy Computing!