Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

pc network

Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 04:05 PM   #1  
carlitos 1
pc network

I have 2 pc and I want put to work like network. I have a HUB and ROUTER my pc has windows 98 and the other windos ME. Please tell me how to do it..Thank you

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-23-02, 05:37 PM   #2  
Nashville_Guy
Network....

In order to share information between the two computers, you need the following equipment:

Network Interface Card (NIC) installed in each computer
Hub
Category 5 computer patch cables (1 per PC)

Once the NIC's are installed and operation in each PC, plug the hub into an A/C power outlet (using a surge suppresor if you have one) and connect the Category 5 patch cables from the NIC's into the hub.

On each PC, go to your network properties and make sure that under protocols, TCP/IP is installed. Change your TCP/IP settings from DHCP (or obtain an address automatically) to Specify an address. Use the address 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for one computer, and set the other to 192.168.0.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Also, make sure that file and printer sharing is installed under your network properties. Afterwards, simply select a resource you wish to share (i.e., My Documents) by right-clicking it in Windows Explorer and selecting "Sharing".

This is the most basic network. If you wish to share an internet connection, or don't want to mess with manually setting your networking parameters up, use Windows ME's Home Networking Wizard. You can find info on this at on Microsofts web site at the link below:

Home Networking Wizard

This should get you going.

Visiting Guest

03-28-02, 06:15 AM   #3  
lynnec
I have 2 computers and I wanted to share the internet. 1 is using windows me and the other is windows 95. what I done is bought 2 network ethernet cards and a crossover cable, with out having to use a router and hub. it works like a charm, now my daughters and i can be on the computers and on the internet at the same time.

Search this Thread