Rewiring Phone Lines

Old 03-25-02, 06:51 PM
Boompa
Visiting Guest
Rewiring Phone Lines

I have been having trouble with my phone lines and also my dial up up to the internet. I want to run a dedicated line to the room where my computer is. Should I use the Cat5 cable for just this one line? Some one told me Cat5 only shields out interference if you have multiple lines through it.

If I only do this room and not the others, will that affect the connection?

If I have too many phones hooked up will that affect the connection? How many are too many phones?

I had posted this previously on the Electrical Forum and have since install CAT5 cable with no better connection that with the regular phone wiring. But at least it works now.

I connect at anywhere from 26K to 44K but mostly on the lower end. Connecting the computer to a regular phone line in another room gave me more consistant 44K connections that the CAT5 connection.

Any help y'all can give me on improving my connection speed would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-02, 07:16 PM
Nashville_Guy
Visiting Guest
I don't know that I would try to use Cat5 for running phone lines. A dedicated line would be good if you were running a fax machine (i.e., a dedicated line being a second number in the house).

Have you ruled out your connection settings? Under dial-up connection settings, are you set to the max speed? There are a number of TCP/IP registry related settings you can make (or you can download a "speed booster" that does it for you).

Category 5 cabling comes in STP (Shielded Twisted Pairs) or UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pairs). The shielding doesn't really do as much to attenuate interference as the number of twists per inch in the cable. This is done to stop "cross=talk", where signals bleed from one wire to the other when loosely twisted.

Even with a 56K modem, you will never get a 56K connection. 44K is not too bad, although you can get a bit higher. For physical issues, try getting a line filter (some surge suppressors come with a built in line filter). This should clean up any 'noise' on your line.

Also, there may be problem where the line comes into your house. This may sound kind of silly, but squirrels can builds nests in there, there could be water collected in the box, any number of things. Something worth looking at, at any rate, especially if the phones are a problem as well.

Experience tells me that if you call your ISP, they will tell you to check the phone company, and vice versa. If you wear them out enough, they will tell you to get with the PC or MODEM manufacturer. Bottom line, it will end up in your lap, pretty much no matter what.

If you can try some of these things, it will be narrowed down a bit and we can get deeper. Hope it gets better for ya!

Old 03-25-02, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
First thing to try would be to make sure you have good phone line from the pole to your house interface box. Had that problem myself last year; suddenly couldn't get anything faster than about 22k and went nuts hunting the fault. Finally found out there was a hum on the line caused by the underground portion of the incoming line being shorted. You can do a basic check by connecting a corded phone and listening for background noise; hit any number to get rid of the dial tone and then listen REAL closely for anything at all on the line. Keep in mind, however, that most phone companies consider the incoming line to be acceptable at a quality that yields somewhere around 9600, so you may need to do some begging and pleading.