Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

how do I copy drives

FL

04-01-02, 07:55 AM   #1  
how do I copy drives

I have an 333 Celeron machine with 98SE and the orginal 3.6 Gb drive as C and a 15 Gb 7200 drive as D. When I installed the new drive in the mid tower case I couldn't set them together so I ended up using the additional connector on the ribbon cable on my CD to connect the new HD. Never have been able to do what I orginally planned, which was to transfer everything onto the larger newer faster drive and reformat the old for storage. How can I do this now that I have stuff on both drives, I only have one partion in the new drive , there's lots of room, don't particualrily want to lose anything of either? I bought Norton's System works becasue of Ghost but can't figure out ohow to make this help...

Sponsored Links

WI

04-01-02, 09:00 AM   #2  
ghost is your best option. I have done what you want to do a few times. 3 to be exact. I used ghost. However I never took notes and it took me about 5-6 hours of trial and error to get the results I wanted. (each time) I know there is ONE option in ghost that will do what you want with out reducing your 15GB drive to 3.?GB (that one really "Ticked" me off. hehehe) Its been so dang long, I cant remember if I ended up putting a partition on my 20Gb drive. hopefully someone else will know more about using ghost, because I dont think you want to wait the 2 weeks it would take me to find the time to experiment.

Brian
Hey Brian I changed the "P" word to ticked" BigMike

Visiting Guest

04-01-02, 09:24 AM   #3  
bigmike
HD install

What HD did you buy? Most come with a ghosting type program. What I recommend is to install the new drive, format and partition it. Install the OS on the new drive with a clean install and get it up a running. [New drive so do a new/clean install]
Now install the old HD after setting the jumper on the rear of the drive to “Slave” and it should set right up as a 3rd drive because of the partition. Now you can access this drives Windoze folder for Outlook, IE, My docs etc and move them to the new drives second partition or wherever you want. {The computer boots to the primary “C” drive so the computer wont even see the Windoze folder on the old drive.} Then after this is done you can delete the old Windoze folder or format the drive. Now what I actually recommend doing it after you move the info you want is to format and partition this drive also into two partitions. Using one partition for storage and the other partition to run the swap file or “Virtual Memory”. This will make a marked increase of speed on the primary drive! I do this myself and know for a fact it makes a huge difference! [OS2 actually recommends this.] Anyway think about this for a second… When you access a program say Outlook not only does the primary drive have to load the program but it has to also access the swap file. By putting the swap file on a separate drive your primary drive isn’t pulling double duty. Try it you’ll like it. Just my opinion but ghosting is the lazy way of recovering programs but in some cases it may be the only recourse but here it isn’t and the whole process will take about three hours. If you need more detailed help holler… Mike

Visiting Guest

04-02-02, 08:45 PM   #4  
needyurhelp
This is probably the most common problem facing upgrades. I've done this 3 times (at least) and the best solution is to take your newer drive, format and load your operating system (win98).
I've looked at the GHOST program, but it's much simpler and quicker just to format and start over - - this has never caused me any problems, as long as you have a legit copy of win98 with the CD key.

If you have never done this and are concerned about it, go to a local PC builder and pay them $30 to do this and tell them you want to see how it's done.

Next, add your older drive as a second drive on either IDE1 or IDE2 (depends on how you have your CD installed).

The main reason for this is it's the quickest method and generates a nice clean drive with no junk.

It's kind of like cleaning out the garage, only it's even better, actually more like moving into a new house with a never-before used garage.

Visiting Guest

04-03-02, 04:31 AM   #5  
bigmike
Hum...

Now why didn't I say that

FL

04-05-02, 06:16 PM   #6  
doesn't answer my question or solve my problem

If I had a brand new drive and a copy of the OS I could have done what was suggested BUT as I indicated the new drive already has a bunch of stuff on it, so I'd lose a ton by wiping it , the OS system came with the machine as their brandCD, and it was Win 95, I then bought upgrades to 98 and 98 SE so I don't think that will fly either. Sounds like I need to add a partion to my new drive that has the room on it, ghost everthing over from my old, including the OS and then swap their physical positions, then wipe the old and use for storage. See 1st inquiry, that is what I asked how to do.

Search this Thread