Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

emachine deal or dud?

TX

04-04-02, 03:37 AM   #1  
emachine deal or dud?

I am looking into a emachine but know nothing about them.
My son is taking this computer with him when he moves out.
what can a real computer do that an emachine wont?
I have heard that they are not very good from reading about them on GOOGLE. Any input would help me.

Sponsored Links

WI

04-04-02, 10:48 AM   #2  
The only negative I have heard from emachine is that the power supply is too small to add any extra's, and the video card is not up to gamers standards. Other then that a guy I work with got one for his little sister and said so far it works pretty good. been 7 months now.

Brian

Visiting Guest

04-04-02, 06:44 PM   #3  
sam_rocks
My cousin has owned his emachine for at least 3 years now and has not had problems. The hardware isn't the latest hence, the cost. He uses the computer to surf the net, write letters, some games.

Have you tried going to computer shows with local vendors? When you're there ask some of the people who are shopping there about vendors. I've got two siblings who did this and are still happy with their computers 2+ years. Good luck.

Visiting Guest

04-04-02, 06:50 PM   #4  
sam_rocks
You question "what can a real computer do that an emachine wont?"

1. Play the latest games - not enough RAM
2. Video for games - not enough RAM & quality
3. Opening alot of applications at one time - slows the computer.

I think a good question to ask yourself or your son, is what will you use the computer for? This will help you decide on what you want/need in the computer if you're on a budget.

TX

04-05-02, 02:47 AM   #5  
checked some out at store

I went and checked out some Emachines I was told by the guy at the store that they use low end components and the warrenty was only 15 days.I am not sure if he was just saying this so he could sell me a high dollar one.
I am not really on a budget I think I could spend about 1300 hundred on a system but I dont want one that has a lot of problems because the parts inside are second rate.This computer I have now is 5 years old (Compaq Presario) and has been good.
I dont do a lot of games I mostley surf the web I do need at least a 17 inch monitor.
I do not want a machine that slows down when I have a lot of windows open and from what I have read in the above post this is the case.
I guess I will start looking at other systems as well as a second option.

FL

04-05-02, 06:09 PM   #6  
eMachine does not have customer service

I bought one a couple years ago. 333c, almost immediately one of the cooling fans started getting real loud, so I called them and it was loud enough that I could just put the phone close and the tech agreed with me. The they said their warranty was for me to pay to send back the unit and then they would send out a refubished one in it's stead, I told them I just wanted a fan so I could keep my hard drive but no go. So I told them to forget it and that I would let everyone I know what crappy customer non service they had forever, Thanks for giving me another chance!

IL

04-05-02, 06:47 PM   #7  
Consider the last reply. Consider the price. Consider it something goes wrong with one component can you fix it yourself. Basically, E-machines are basic computing for basic needs with no frills. Think of them as stripped down Yugos, they get you from one place to another but that's about it.

04-05-02, 09:38 PM   #8  
I have an emachine and have for 3 years now. i had to add a lot of memory, but the limit is 256M, can't remember what I got because within the first year the fuse blew in the power supply and my cooling fan for the chip went out as well. Instead of paying them $50 to send me a refurb machine, I took the old one to a shop, they hooked me up with a new case, better power supply and even measured to make sure everything would fit properly for $50. I transfered all the inside parts and haven't had any more troubles.

I have to admit, however, I would not purchase this brand again. It was what I could afford at the time, and it was not a good purchase for what we needed it for. I was homeschooling my children and educational games were hard to install and even worse when they would try to run. I use it now to keep up with my genealogy records and to surf the net. Not much else that it is good for.

If you can, check into a better machine. As a rule of thumb: you usually get what you pay for. It is funny about the Yugo deal, that's exactly what I got. A yugo of a computer. Wish I would have saved a couple of extra hundred dollars and then purchased a better machine that I don't want to throw into the yard or street half the time. Freezes up, can't manage the memory that's in it......shall I go on?????

Note: case and power supply should be no more than $50 if you want to change out an emachine case and supply. fuses go out on them on a regular basis and are special order. Also, the cooling fan for the chip is only $10 at any office supply, and easily replaced.

Kay

Visiting Guest

04-06-02, 08:59 PM   #9  
jerome
Yes....I agree! noooo....the above posts sound like my machine, fan is on the fritz and power supply is making wierd noises.

Purchased a emachine 2yrs ago. I did change the 8mg video card to a 32mg, and added more memory. I don't like the 8x dvd rom that came with mine. I play alot of games online and from cd and would not recommend this brand to anyone who will be playing games on it. however in my case, It has served it's purpose for a first computer though.

I'm toying with either building from scratch on my next one or another package. It just seems like it is much more rewarding when I get to pick parts. Sure I can go to say Dells website and pick and choose any parts I want. Not as fun as putting it in yourself.

04-08-02, 11:06 AM   #10  
I would rather build my own then buy an eMachines. I've heard both good and bad things about it. $400 is a price hard to beat, but you do get what you pay for. I've had two IBMs so far, and I've built 4 computers for myself so far. A brand name does provide a better warranty, but you pay a premium for that. It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to play the latest games, and a bargain PC is not what you're looking for. You'll be dissapointed. On the other hand, I'm still yet to see the difference between 40 fps and 100 fps in the latest games. To me they both look the same. If you want to save a bit of money, and have some satisfaction, build your own. I would go the Athlon way, maybe a 1.4 or so, a very good cooler , a Radeon video card, at least 256 Mb of DDR, a nice inexpensive CDRW drive ( I've worked with both $100 and $300 recorders, and they were both the same). Of course you'll need a fairly decent case with a 300W power supply. A DVD drive is nice, but how many people actually watch DVD movies on their computer? The hardest part is installing the MB in the case, but there are many books out there explaining it. Make sure you're grounded, I usually leave the power supply in (if the case allows), and leave it plugged in while I install components and the MB ( when I say plugged in I mean plugged into the wall, but all of the connectors are not connected to anything in the computer. Some of the motherboards have a nasty habbit of powering up when connecting periferals.). It's easier to install the CPU and RAM while the MB is outside, and then slide it in. I think I'll end it here for now..

Search this Thread