sound

Old 04-04-02, 06:08 PM
sound

Ihave a Compaq Presario model#5222 which does not have sound most of the time.It will play music cd,s and sound on some web pages.Most pages have no sound. instuctional cd,s have no sound and when I go to sounds in control panel and click on chimes it will say my files may be damaged, replace and try again.If I remove my mouse or my ethernet card I will have sound.I have added extra memory to total 192 meg.I tried a new sound card PCI SoundBlaster to no avail.If anyone has an idea it would be welcome as I use this computer for training for my job which requires sound.TRIED the complete restore route works only temporarily then I lose sound again.Also tried a plug n play mouse.Thanks Dave.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-02, 05:26 AM
Group Moderator
My 2 cents worth would be a device conflict. I've had a little luck on similar problems (not on Compaq) by removing the devices that may be in conflict (ethernet and sound in your case) both through device manager and physically removing them. Start up computer and then re-shutdown. Now install sound card and boot up; check operation. Shutdown, install ethernet and boot up; check operation. If you still have problem. Repeat whole procedure only try installing the other device (ethernet) first.

Old 04-05-02, 09:22 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool PCI versus ISA

Also try a different PCI slot. Most likely you are having like is mention a device conflict, also look for IRQ and DMA errors. Both can be found in the device manager under properties and or settings. Look to see if more than one device is trying to share an IRQ. Sound problems can be difficult, I would get the sound card working first. Pull the NIC card and for now deal with the sound problem. After you get sound working the way you want then do the NIC card. If errors show up switch the NIC card to a different PCI slot. I take it you are on cable or DSL? If so you may have to use an ISA card for the net, it will only be 10 based (or 10 MBps). The only time your system would need the 100 MBs portion of the card would be if you are transferring large files between computers on a network. If you arenít doing this the ISA card will serve you perfect. I run ISA for DSL because my PCI ports are full with capture card, sound card, IR port etc and notice no difference between PCI and ISA download speeds.

Old 04-06-02, 07:23 AM
sound

I thank you for your ideas but I have done those.When asked about dsl my brain started to tick.Turns out I removed my 56 k modem for the nic ,but I had a software program called Bitware Fax.Deleted that program problem solved.Curious why it would take a year and a half to manifest itself? But thanks guys,Davo

Old 04-06-02, 07:33 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Junk

Bitware is like that. Just junk. I have used it in the past and it works but itís clunky to say the least! Anyway there ya goÖ