fat.db file

Old 04-04-02, 08:05 PM
fat.db file

I went into find from the start menu, files and folders trying to clear the cache. When I hit select all trying to delete these internet files, there is a file on top called fat.db and it tells me I cannot delete this file. Deleting these files one by one is a pain. What is this file and how or should I get rid of it.
Thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-02, 09:30 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Fat data base?

Well a search of MS turned up nothing on this fat.db but I would say itís the fat 32 data base information and cannot be deleted. Any other ideas guys/gals? The best way to delete the 386.swp file is to quit to MS DOS. Or better yet boot from the 98 start disk to the A:\ prompt the go to the Windows directory and locate the 386.swp file and delltree it. Then re-boot. Windows will automatically rebuild the swap file when it boots. I tell ya, the more I run 2000 the more I like it. I have punished this build and it is still as tight as the day I installed it. Formatting my main system Sat AM to install NTFS and 2000.

Old 04-05-02, 10:31 AM
Searched MS? According to two filename extension databases fat.db is the Netscape Cache. I imagine it's similar to IEs index.dats and should be handled the same way.

Old 04-05-02, 10:40 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Search

Huh did a search of Knowledge Base on MS and it didn't come up. That's MS for ya... That and I have no knowledge of Netscape what-so-ever. Played with it not long ago and it didn't perform like IE so dumped it. The next big thing was it belongs to AOL and I will do nothing to help them in any way. AOL is a rip off and not for human consumption...

Last edited by bigmike; 04-05-02 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-05-02, 02:47 PM
fat.db

thanks guys for your quick reply. But being pretty well computer illerate I'm still no further ahead. Any help to guide me through this process would be appreciated. It is a netscape cache, 2000
Thanks again
Bill

Old 04-06-02, 08:37 PM
Solutions tend to be OS/version specific. [Always wise to post OS]. Standard warnings apply: dink with cache files = consequences. Understand consequences = band aids not required, else may be bloody or exceed pain threshold.

General: Win9xs - WinME (delete in real DOS - del Dr:\FolderPath\filename.ext or Deltree Dr:\folder), Nts WinNt, Win2000, WinXP, programs are useful, because of NTFS.

Suggested reading (disjointed, but it may help).
Applies to Win9xs & files in general: http://www.home.mpinet.net/pilobilus/CS04.html Visit Sysinternals [site link] Next: http://www.neonfire.com/security/privacy.htm General & lists of free proxy servers for paranoids. Wipe program: http://www.tucows.com/preview/195413.html Download security guide [exe file] (if interested) http://www.expert-guides.com/library/privacy.asp

Old 04-07-02, 08:46 AM
fat.db

thanks for your reply 2000 but unfortunately i didn't understand a word of it. Bottom line is can I get rid of this and how specifically how do I do it.
Thanks
Bill

Old 04-07-02, 10:06 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool MS DOS

Quote: The best way to delete the 386.swp file is to quit to MS DOS. Or better yet boot from the 98 start disk to the A:\ prompt then go to the Windows directory and locate the 386.swp file and delltree it. Then re-boot. Windows will automatically rebuild the swap file when it boots. IE: C:\windows:/>[flashing prompt]deltree win386.swp
Before you do this make sure the path is correct IE: 386.swp is the swp file. You may not be able to delete that .DB. Netscape is an off the wall browser that is only used by a few people like Opera. They work OK but when it comes to the end of the day IE is the net standard. There are newsgroups that are dedicated to Netscape so I would try there too.

Old 04-07-02, 07:15 PM
Bottom line. click here: http://www.tucows.com/preview/195413.html Find the version of the program relevant to your version of Windows.. Right click the download, choose save as, follow directions. After the program is installed cache file(s) can be deleted. When any Windows program is opened pressing the F1 key will launch help for that program. Press the F1 key when the Desktop is the current window and Windows help is launched.

Old 04-09-02, 05:49 PM
Smile fat.db

Thanks for all your help guys. I didn't like Netscape as a browser so I went in and deleted the program . when I went in to the cache again I had no problem deleting the fat.db file, although it ended up on my desktop. Who knows??
again thanks
Bill