Building Own Computer

Old 04-05-02, 10:30 AM
BGH
Question Building Own Computer

I am interested in finding out if there is a set of directions or a web site that will inform me how to build my own computer. I am looking more for the step by step, connect part A into slot B type directions. I am not very computer literate, but have installed sound cards and CD drives into friends computers.

Is building a computer very hard? Someone here at work suggested that it was fairly easy. The thing that has me going on this, though, is he informed me that I will be able to get my operating system software through a special liscensing fee here at work for a very good rate.

I am very intrigued about customizing my own computer, too. Build it for what I only need, with the opportunity to expand it later.

I am interested in the thoughts and comments on how to get rolling with this project. Thanks in advance.

BGH

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-02, 10:36 AM
Try the "how to guides" here http://www.motherboards.org/

Old 04-05-02, 11:59 AM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
Hey try this older fourm it has links on how to build your own computer, hope this helps!http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...threadid=78465

Old 04-05-02, 12:52 PM
BGH
Thanks for the link. I'll give it a try.

Any idea as to how difficult this project would be for the average computer user: Very Hard
Moderately Hard
Hard
Easy
Moderately Easy
Very Easy

Old 04-05-02, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
On a scale of 1 to 10, I would make it about a 6 if you've never done it but know a little about the hardware. It is a worthwhile project and very rewarding having done it yourself (the namne of the game around here) besides being educational for future troubleshooting jobs. Best part is that for the most part it's pretty hard to screw up because most components and their various connections will only go in one place in one direction. You do have to make sure for instance that when you connect the cable to the hard drive that the #1 pin is aligned. My current machine is home built and my prior experience was replacing components for upgrades, etc. Good luck.

Old 04-05-02, 06:58 PM
The best thing about building your own is that you can start basic and build up as you get money and ideas. Just make sure you stick to standard components with service track records for your base system components (i.e. motherboard, hard drive, video card...) Also, get a bigger case and power supply than you think you need. Next year you're going to want to add more.

One warning, once you start doing this you'll never want to buy one retail again. You'll find yourself saying, "Heck I could do that for half the price!"

Old 04-06-02, 08:36 AM
Building your own.

My sister, a 54 year old music teacher in Australia, came to visit at Christmas. We bought all of the components for a computer at a local show while she was here. I gave here a 30 minute lesson on how to plug everything in, and she packed the parts in her suitcase (minus the case) and carried everything back to Australia. When she got home, she bought a new case and installed all of the components with no problems. The point is....if she can build a computer with absolutely no experience, anyone should be able to. If you decide to build one, I'm sure that someone here will be more than glad to give you a shopping list for the parts that you need.

Nashcat

Old 04-06-02, 02:45 PM
Rmen13
Visiting Guest
what is the estimated price for all the parts and equipment that you need to build your own computer

Old 04-07-02, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Check out this link; pretty good place to start:

www.pricewatch.com

Old 04-09-02, 06:43 AM
Case: $49-120 depending on size and style
MB: $60-240 depending on speed and capacity
Processor: $50-240 (Celeron 450Mhz to P4 2.2Ghz)
HD: $75-150 10GB to 60GB
CDRW: $50-75
Floppy: $20
Video Card: $5-125 (How good of graphics do you want)
Sound card: $5-50
**(on the last two items you can get them included on some motherboards)
Keyboard and Mouse: $50

If you want a nice simple machine running on a P3 900 with a socket 370 MB with 256 MB you can scrounge on up for about $450 and still be able to use good parts.

Old 04-09-02, 08:34 AM
BSB
On your motherboard purchase you may want to do some research on the brand you are thinking of getting. you can go to www.anandtech.com or www.tomshardware.com and search their MB reviews.

As far as the rest of the hardware goes, if you have heard of the brand (ie creative labs, nvida, ati, samsung, sony, teac, etc) then your pretty safe with the purchase. If you have not heard of the brand name (Lebronco, davicom, etc) I hope the money saved out weighs the troubles you will encounter. Granted there are some no name parts that are worth the money, but not many.

You can build a pretty good budget pc that you can count on with out spending your life savings. You just have to be willing to shop around a bit.

Also be sure to check out the shipping charges versus what you can get the part in town for. The part you want to get may be $15 less on line then in town, but you forgot to notice the $25 shipping charge.

Good luck, have fun!

Brian

p.s. you can also check out www.consumerreview.com for "real" people reviews.

Old 04-12-02, 08:47 AM
BGH
Thanks

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I do have the confidence to complete the project, but got dealt a major blow to my plans. The liscensing agreement that my company has/had with Microsoft no longer exists, so now I am unable to get the Windows XP and other software at the great price. Oh well. But I will come back here to seek yuor advice if I do decide to go forward.

BGH

Old 04-13-02, 09:26 AM
Don't give up just yet. There are still a few sites and computer shows where you can get good deals on 95, 98, and ME. Also, if you know anyone who works for a school they can pick up a copy at academic prices. Plus, isn't XP home still selling for $99. As cheap as hard drives are right now you can save enough to still come in under $500.

One other option is RedHat its a big download but it is free. (Yes, I know there are other flavors of linux but RedHat is the most user friendly for Windows users.) As long as your willing to wait through long downloads all the software will be free.

Old 04-18-02, 06:01 AM
You can get Windows XP Home, full version for less than $90 from most component dealers if you are buying hardware.

Search this Thread