Home vs Pro

Old 04-08-02, 03:09 PM
Christopher Erger
Visiting Guest
Home vs Pro

Could anyone tell me what the difference between home
versions and pro versions of win2000, win xp.
Plus and negitive sides, stability difference,ect.
Thanks so much.

P.S. I know the pro versions cost more, why?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-02, 07:19 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Determine your needs. If you are networking with other computers or other systems, you need the Professional Version. If you are just a single entity on a home computer, you don't need the extra expense of the networking software.

I'm running Windows-XP (Home version) and it is very stable. It's one of the best operating systems I have seen from Mickey Soft.

I am also running Office-XP (Small Business Version) and the only gripe I had was that it didn't offer a Power Point program. I had to load a separate Power Point Reader to support the program.
Also not happy with Outlook email software from this Office software. I get better email software from Outlook Express on Internet Explorer 6.0.

Only word of caution is to make sure your machine will run the newer software. For instance, Window-XP "recommends" a 533 MHz Pentium or higher with a minimum of 100 megs of RAM. You also need a lot of real estate on your hard drive to run it. I have a 1.8 Gig Pentium, 512 megs of RAM, and 40 Gig hard drive so things are VERY stable.

Smokey

Smokey

Old 04-21-02, 06:19 PM
Howard Walker
Visiting Guest
Wink Pro vs XP

Bet you didn't know both versions are on the same CD?
The software key tells the program which version to install...

If you are going to network, go with Pro but, I would do that anyway. The Home version is just too stripped down.

Beware, the new license agreements allow 1 license to 1 machine so, if you are going to have several pc's networked, you will have to purchase a license for each.

Or you could just go with Win2000.

Old 04-21-02, 06:49 PM
Actually, you can network with XP Home but with limitations. For a simple home network or sharing a cable modem connection its fine. What it can't do is connect to a Microsoft Active Directory, a Novell tree, or a NT4 Domain. MS wants to have corporate users pay more. Maybe they're trying to convince us they're Robin Hoods? ;>)

Old 04-23-02, 03:44 PM
Bryanx0a0d
Visiting Guest
Home Edition also does not use the NTFS security descriptors by default.

You can get most of the network functionality by running the Network Setup Wizard.