Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Incorrect advice......

04-08-02, 04:54 PM   #1  
Incorrect advice......

look man, I have been doing this type of work for over 20 years. I look at things in a more logical way than maybe you’re what? 18 or so years of life?

Point 1: I started with DEC in 1982. Before that I had been a telecommunication technician for 18 years. I currently hold an MCSE in Win2000, previously in WinNT4.

I will agree that you are right as far as the 16 bit FAT goes but you are off in left field as far as a true 32 bit system.

I thought the original question was about Fat16? Now unless they changed the rules, Fat16 means 16 bit?

The "Missing" 348 megs is the Windoze OS and swap file. It cannot be used by anything else. And yes you will have to format to do what you want.

This was referring to the remaining approx. 400Mb of unpartitioned disk space......OS?....SWAP FILE?....REALLY???

If there is a soul here that says I have miss-informed them or given them bad advise I will abdicate and leave this forum.

I'm saying it.....Well?

And to the rest of the contributors to this thread, I'm sorry if I seem a little direct, but I started out trying to correct a glaring error. After all, forums such as these must be accurate to be of any use at all. My attempts were met with hostility, so I told it how it is.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-08-02, 07:47 PM   #2  
Smokey
G'day, ejones:

I have been to your country several times and cannot understand how you can stand to be in the middle of so much beauty.

Perhaps your posts were perceived as hostile in their intent and were not taken in context. I know Big Mike personally and know him to be very knowledgeable in a lot of fields.

We try very hard to maintain an adult attitude on these forums and try to avoid confrontations. When these happen, the Webmaster gets a little irritated. After all, this forum is free to everyone. Every person working as a Moderator on this forum receives no pay and donates his/her valuable time to impart information based on their experience and knowledge of a particular field.

We welcome critical comments, of course. If we were perfect, then there would be no need for erasers on pencils. If you present your criticism using a humane approach, knowing the moderator is overworked and not paid, then maybe things would go a lot smoother.

So, both you and Big Mike take a deep breath, come back to DoItYourself.com, and be kind to one another.

Warmest regards to the folks "down under",

Smokey

04-08-02, 11:23 PM   #3  
OK Mike...

OK.... comments accepted. No hard feelings Mike.....I really was trying to correct what I saw as incorrect advice.

Visiting Guest

04-09-02, 03:52 PM   #4  
bigmike
Sorry

Yea me too man, sorry. I am not used to being questioned. I am sure you feel that pinch every now and then… So I will put my saber away and honestly say sorry for rubbing your fur the wrong way

Visiting Guest

04-10-02, 06:00 PM   #5  
Smokey
And so, On With the Show

Ah, peace at last!

G'day, ejones:

Probably the toughest job I've ever had is being a moderator on this site. It's really difficult to visualize the person's problems while sitting at a computer many miles away. We know the person is frustrated. He/She obviously needs help. So, we do the best we can to impart the best information.

Old Smokey's skirts aren't clean! I've blown a few now and then and hid my face in my hands for a while. None of us are perfect by any any standard. But, the fact is that our moderators TRY and we will continue to TRY. If our success rate is 98%, that isn't bad.

We welcome you and your friends from "down under" to our forums. I've had several hits from the UK, Australia, and Tasmania, etc. Great folks!

I, of course, have been to these countries as a member of the United States Navy. I've never quite forgiven the Aussies for feeding me all that Swan Beer and laughing as I slid under the table. LOL!

Smokey

Search this Thread