defrag error

Old 04-08-02, 11:28 PM
slightly_slow
Visiting Guest
Question defrag error

hey everyone

im wondering if nebody can help. Ive got a logical drive im trying 2 defrag - and it comes back with the error: ID NO: Defrag00203 - and to scan my drive.

Ive done a thorough scan and everything is fine. Ive tried searching for info on it but it seems theres only info on the error 00205!

Does anybody know wat this is and why i can't defrag my drive?!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-02, 12:37 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I've ran into this problem on some of the older computers. My solution was to boot the computer up to the SAFE MODE with a minimum of drivers and software running. This circumvents software conflicts and may solve your problem.

How to get to SAFE MODE? Check your Windows Help file. It varys from one computer to another. Usually you hold down F8
or the Control Key on a cold boot.

Smokey

Old 04-09-02, 01:38 PM
slightly_slow
Visiting Guest
Thanks, but ive already tried that

The story is ive just got a new 40GB harddrive, and ive partitioned it so its now C: E: and F: (D: is my old harddrive). C: and F: will defrag fine, but E: wont!

And this morning i booted up my computer and it came up with scandisk saying i possibly had bad sectors on my drive..... and sure enuf i now have a bad sector on my new harddrive - which to me is a bit of a worry because its pretty much close to the start of the drive. I would partition that off, but its surrounded by other data!

So my poor computer!

Do you have any other suggestions?

Old 04-09-02, 01:53 PM
If you have bad sectors already then you should return the drive and exchange it. There should be no bad sectors on a new drive, at least not in the first few months after you bought it.

Old 04-10-02, 05:41 PM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Smokey says amen to that suggestion. The computer is such a stupid beast and it will try to load data anyplace it can on the hard drive. If you have a bad sector, it is Murphy's Law that says that is where the computer will try to put data.

Smokey

Old 04-10-02, 06:23 PM
slightly_slow
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys why i bother with computers!!!!!!!!! (Im in my second year of a degree in computers......and i am beginning to wonder... daily... why i am there......) Na its good 4 learning!! Thanks again

Old 04-11-02, 01:47 PM
slightly_slow
Visiting Guest
Defrag error 203 is fixed!!!!!!

Defrag error 203 is fixed!!!!!!

Ok, for anyone that is interested this is how to fix it: Delete all the files in your applog folder. Simple as that - I dont know why this is - someone said something about one of the files being corrupted - however - it has worked and if anyone could shed some light as to why it works, that would b cool

Old 04-12-02, 11:48 AM
Smokey
Visiting Guest
Simple. The computer is smarter than we are in some cases and will not defrag a corrupted file.

Smokey