Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

USB Conflict

Visiting Guest

04-09-02, 12:07 PM   #1  
Tommg
USB Conflict

Hi:

I am trying to install a cradle for my PDA (Casio Cassiopea) so I can transfer data using MS ActiveSync. The instructions with the PDA say to plug in the USB connection and reboot then install the software. However when I reboot, I get either a "fatal error" or a system freeze before bootup completion.

I already have 2 devices using USB ports (I have 2 USB ports on my pc). Both programs load at start-up: Intel anypoint networking device (which remains plugged into USB) and HP scanner, which I would like to interchange with the PDA cradle.

Should I try to load the ActiveSync software before plugging in the cradle? Should I disable the HP scanner from msconfig selective startup? any suggestions?

PII 350, 256MHz RAM, 3GB free HD space.

Thanks!

Tom

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-09-02, 12:32 PM   #2  
Smokey
I'll put my two cents worth in about this because I had a similar problem.

About the best fix is to install a USB hub. The hub plugs into one USB port and gives you 4+ ports to access with no conflict. Then you don't have to worry about plugging and unplugging.

As for connecting the equipment and then installing the software, I have always found the reverse to be true. Load the software, turn off the computer, plug in the component, and turn it back on. The computer should identify the new piece of hardware. If it asks for drivers, etc, show it where you stashed the new software.

Also, you can run into conflicts if your Pentium is one of the older, slower units and if you aren't running enough RAM. Anymore, about the bottom end of the cycle is a 533 Meg Pentium with a minimum of 100 megs of RAM.

Just some thoughts from Smokey. I am sure some of the more knowlegeable gurus will come in and offer even better advice.

Smokey

Visiting Guest

04-09-02, 12:56 PM   #3  
Tommg
Thanks

Thanks, Smokey!

Sometimes the simplest answers are the most difficult to see. The hubs are only about $30 so I'll give that a shot.

Do you think I should remove the scanner from my startup before installing the hub just in case?

Tom

Visiting Guest

04-09-02, 06:00 PM   #4  
Tommg
Resolution

Smokey your two cents were worth a bundle. I don't know nor care why the hub worked, but it sure did. Thanks again!
Tom

WI

04-10-02, 04:51 AM   #5  
According to data sheets you can link some thing like 144 devices to a single usb port. You have to use hubs of course. Go ahead and correct me on the number of devices my memory was never like I wished it used to be.

Brian

Visiting Guest

04-10-02, 05:36 PM   #6  
Smokey
Thank you for the kind words. I had a warm feeling that the hub would solve your problems. Glad it did!

Smokey

Search this Thread